To turbo or not to turbo?

Hondacura B18B1

Hey guys I literally just joined club integra so first off apologies for my noobness. I may cover some stuff that has been in other threads but I have a pretty unique opportunity to add power to my car. I recently picked up a 1996 LS 5 speed flat black coupe with 160k for $1900 and I love it so far. It is tastefully modded to the point where I'm not really sure what else to do to it. A friend of mine has a t3/t4 turbo, manifold with bov, and intercooler for sale for $300. My overall question in this post is should I pick up the other stuff I need to turbo my car? Would I have to build the bottom end, upgrade the injectors, or use a different ECU if I only plan to run 10 pounds or less of boost? I like the car the way it is and would be perfectly happy with it not being turbocharged but for $500 would it be worth it? Any and all opinions are welcome.

DeAngebro

Foster
Hey guys I literally just joined club integra so first off apologies for my noobness. I may cover some stuff that has been in other threads but I have a pretty unique opportunity to add power to my car. I recently picked up a 1996 LS 5 speed flat black coupe with 160k for $1900 and I love it so far. It is tastefully modded to the point where I'm not really sure what else to do to it. A friend of mine has a t3/t4 turbo, manifold with bov, and intercooler for sale for $300. My overall question in this post is should I pick up the other stuff I need to turbo my car? Would I have to build the bottom end, upgrade the injectors, or use a different ECU if I only plan to run 10 pounds or less of boost? I like the car the way it is and would be perfectly happy with it not being turbocharged but for $500 would it be worth it? Any and all opinions are welcome.
Turbo, manifold, bov, and intercooler for 300$? That's reallllllly cheap dude.

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
Hey guys I literally just joined club integra so first off apologies for my noobness. I may cover some stuff that has been in other threads but I have a pretty unique opportunity to add power to my car. I recently picked up a 1996 LS 5 speed flat black coupe with 160k for $1900 and I love it so far. It is tastefully modded to the point where I'm not really sure what else to do to it. A friend of mine has a t3/t4 turbo, manifold with bov, and intercooler for sale for $300.
What brands are these? are those the only parts hes selling?

My overall question in this post is should I pick up the other stuff I need to turbo my car?
if you plan to turbo your car, why wouldnt you pick up the other stuff you need?

Would I have to build the bottom end, upgrade the injectors, or use a different ECU if I only plan to run 10 pounds or less of boost?
read up on some articles, 10lbs, 8lbs, 30lbs, means nothing unless you have specifics on what your turbo flows.

Building the bottom end is dependant on what type of driving and what type of power you plan on making. Do a compression test on your car and see if the engine is healthy enough to turbocharge.

A chipped ECU is a must for tuning, and new injectors as well.

I like the car the way it is and would be perfectly happy with it not being turbocharged but for $500 would it be worth it? Any and all opinions are welcome.
your car will not be turbocharged for $500.

Hondacura B18B1

Turbo, manifold, bov, and intercooler for 300$? That's reallllllly cheap dude.
My thoughts exactly haha he had planned on turboing his B series but he has gotten too many speeding tickets.

@AlexD: Yes they are the only parts he is selling so if I bought this stuff I would probably have to buy the rest of the stuff new, which would be expensive, Garrett turbo hks bov and no name intercooler, if I would turbo it, it would be very low flow just to add a sizable amount of power, I can get ahold of a chipped ECU pretty cheap but do you have any idea what size upgraded injectors I would need/how much they would cost?

emd513

440 injectors be fine for that low and no other mods. Actually factory will work with a nice street tune for that psi on a cheap turbo. Need a wideband. Piping turbo intercooler bob wastegate with correct spring oil lines oil pan tapped. Several other things to consider. Google is now your friend. You decide and then ask after a lot of research.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Hondacura B18B1

440 injectors be fine for that low and no other mods. Actually factory will work with a nice street tune for that psi on a cheap turbo. Need a wideband. Piping turbo intercooler bob wastegate with correct spring oil lines oil pan tapped. Several other things to consider. Google is now your friend. You decide and then ask after a lot of research.

Thanks that is actually exactly the kind of answer what I was looking for. I think I might start collecting the pieces and then when I have everything I need I'll put it all together.

@DeAngebro it has a full upgraded exhaust

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
do not cheap out on anything unless you feel like spending time fixing your car or replacing your whole engine. Do it right the first time, even if youre putting together a budget kit.

DONT run stock injectors.

Dsm injectors at the MINIMUM. Tuners in my area are a big fan of the new bosch style injectors, they tune easy and idle like stock. I would highly suggest them.

2.5 inch exhaust at the minimum imo.

tial wastegate, wide band to monitor AFR's, boost gauge, and if you have extra money, an oil pressure gauge.

youll need an oil return, oil feed, vacuum block, charge piping, t bolt clamps (I do not recommend worm clamps as they dont really like to hold), 1 step colder spark plugs gapped @ .025ish (ive seen .028 work, and as low as .020). Go with a walbro 255 at the minimum as well.

Youll also need to upgrade your clutch or youre going to toast that thing in no time.

All of these items are the reason why I dont see you turbocharging your car for $500. I pay around $300 just for the tune.

01TegLuv

that whole turbo kit for $300 id say get it. unless its a cheap turbo known to fail..

im also going to do a turbo build 10lbs or less. upgrade your injectors to at least 440cc. bigger exhaust. walbro 255hp fuel pump.

emd513

My Friend did the cheap way through eBay on a stock d series in his hatch. With tune and replacing the fittings with ones that were worth a shit he had right at 1500 in it to push 7lbs. Used stock clutch only lasted a month. Like I said Google turbo setups or how to or what you need for such hp. On your motor. Depending on what kind of driver you are will depend on how long that motor holds. Want it to be able to thrash daily and still keep going you better plan on a complete rebuild with parts that have been proven to last.