Toda vtec killers

iMoto607

It has been dyno'd they said it made over 215 to the wheels I would love to get into the 300's

hgocasca

level 77 troll
It has been dyno'd they said it made over 215 to the wheels I would love to get into the 300's
Not happening on stock bore, or even on your block period. Need to get a "dart b20" block, bore it a little more, and use cams that should never be on a dd car. I posted up a link awhile back for an article where they made ~308-313whp on a bseries motor. It was nice, but required deep pockets. And not for street use

Kyle

Keep what you got. Is it worth it to gaining a few more HP by adding $600+ in cams? If you want to go faster buy a lighter car and swap your engine.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Let's go with some skunk2 pro 2 cams. Perfect compliment to your setup. We have em on sale too
nope. The cams are too big for the set up. We just sent a car out to be tuned on a 1.8l with the Blox version of the Pro 2+ and he made 191 because the cams were too big for the motor. Those cams need displacement or super high compression to get full power.

you wont get 300whp on a NA motor. You dont have the displacement for it. Skunk2's dyno sheets show 275whp with a b20 vtec motor with 14:1 compression

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
He's at 12.x cr Dylan. Should be plenty range. They're 12+ cr cams
still needs the displacement although skunk2 doesnt mention it. They are a highly agressive cam that need the displacement to get full power, the pro2+ wont get maximum power without a 2.0L. Look through honda tech and 50% of the people with pro2+ cams wondering why they didnt get as much power as the next guy due to dispalcement issues. I would have seriously considered the pro2+ cam but i didnt want to do a b20v.

We like to see a minimum of 11.5:1 to run Pro 2's. If you happen to have those ITR pistons in a B16 then you would want even more compression as the displacement is so small.

A set of our Pro hi comp valves would actually be ideal for that setup. Those flat faced valves would bump compression by about .3 of 1 point and would help you to get closer to minimum required compression without having to touch the bottom end.

If you are serious about extracting the most power out of your build I HIGHLY recommend getting a set of 12:1 compression Weisco pistons. These forged pistons are far stronger than their cast aluminum counterparts, but moreover have nice large/deep valve pockets machined into the pistons. This would get you to optimum compression and minimize any chance for valve to piston contact.

One last word of advice. If you do decide to change valves make sure you stick with standard sized valves. The Pro Stage 2 camshafts are very aggressive. So aggressive that if you were to install oversized valves you would run into valve to valve contact issues when the engine crosses over into vtec. Hi compression valves are fine, but they need to remain standard size.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Something I want to point out. You have to remember that just because you won't reach max potential for a given cam, that doesn't automatically mean that that cam is a bad choice for that build. Dylan is right that that cam will benefit from increased displacement, but i still think that the op's build would see an increase from those cams. I am mostly basing that statement on his compression, and other supporting mode. More HP is more HP, whether the cam is reaching its full potential, or not. Only the op can determine whether or not it is worth it.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Something I want to point out. You have to remember that just because you won't reach max potential for a given cam, that doesn't automatically mean that that cam is a bad choice for that build. Dylan is right that that cam will benefit from increased displacement, but i still think that the op's build would see an increase from those cams. I am mostly basing that statement on his compression, and other supporting mode. More HP is more HP, whether the cam is reaching its full potential, or not. Only the op can determine whether or not it is worth it.
i would say if i was going to buy pro 1 or pro 2 cams i would go for the pro2 cam since its a $30 difference. But not if i was going to buy a brand new cam. I would get something that would make the most power on my set up

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
I can't go on my laptop atm, but it would be interesting to see how the Brian Crower stage 3 cams compare to the pro 2's. My main point was that I would not consider his build to be over cammed with those cams... Besides, room to grow is always good ;)

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
room to grow is one thing if the block is meant for bigger cams, but its the other way around, i would go with BC stage 3s since they are cheaper.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
I will say, I am partial to Brian Crower cams, simply because its what I am running (stage 2's), and i know Ricky was running stage 3's, when he had this head. If I up the compression a bit more down the road, i may go to stage 3's...idk, 12.5:1 with stage 3 cams sounds fun on a dd, LOL...

I still don't think i would say the pro 2's NEED more displacement, though...benefit from, yes...but i don't think need. I do agree 100%, though, that they need the compression.