torn rack and pinion boot

iDrive a GS-R

I noticed my rack and pinion boot was torn after i installed my coilovers and it looks like something leaked out. I checked the powersteering fluid it still on the lower level line. I was just wondering if its bad to drive on a torn boot for a long time. Its been about a month and i havent changed it yet but going to do it within the week.
I also hear a clicking sound when i drive but it doesnt happen all the time.

R13

The other asshole
One of my boots is torn, I haven't noticed any problems it made a slight mess but it doesn't leak anymore, But I don't have power steering anymore either

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
The grease that was lubricating your rack is what leaked out. You can replace it pretty easy.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Replacing the boot is easy to do, and it is something that should be done. There is a seal around the inner tie rod which can fail if they are not protected by the boot. This happened to me once and was a big headache. The power steering fluid also helps to keep the rack and pinion lubricated and driving without fluid can cause the rack to stop working. The whole rack and pinion is a HUGE pain to replace.

R13

The other asshole
^ I need to pick up the necessary components to get my power steering working then, unfortunately it was that way when I bought it

iDrive a GS-R

so would it be fine to drive around on it for a whilie? its not leaking powersteering fluid and i already got the new boot just waiting to replace caues im gona need an alignment and also a front camber kit since i lowered it i wanna do them at the same time..

Local

chances are its more than just the boot & you will end up needing to replace the rack.

R13

The other asshole
it should be fine, I've put 80+ miles on my car not to mention who knows how long it was driven like that before i got it

OfficeLinebacke

So there's basically a heim joint type thing in there that is lubricated with grease similar to CV joint grease. Since it's now open, grit will now get in there and eventually, wear out that joint. The ultimate failure of that is the tie rod fails at the rack and you lose steering to that wheel. (So one front wheel has steering and the other one wobbles around like the front wheel on a shopping cart). It will take maybe thousands of miles, but it will eventually happen

If you catch it early enough you can just replace the boot. If however there is significant contamination of the grease or any play in that joint, you need to replace the tie rod end as well.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
I had a torn boot on the tie rod. Mech inspected my rack and said it was fine so he replaced the whole tie rod. That tightned up the steering considerably because the tie rod was pretty worn. Next step was urethane lower control arm bushings and that really helped tighten up the steering. Had my rack been leaking I would have had it replaced with a good used one.

iDrive a GS-R

Well this is old. Replaced both boots but my tie rods are old and need replacement there play in the wheel when the car is in the air and i move the tire side to side