Traction?

E85B18

Hey guys I’m new to the forum. Any help would be much appreciated! I have a 99 GSR. I just got it tuned on Wednesday and put down 429.5 whp at 20psi. Traction keeps being an issue. Right now I’m running 215/35/18 BFG KDW-2. I think my first problem is such a big wheel. My question is I’m looking for an answer for the track and street. If i buy new wheels and tires, what size will work best? Some people tell me 22x8x13 drag tires and wheels will not be big enough. The car is lowered 1.75" so I don’t think I can go any larger. The car has traction issues in 3rd gear. Help!? Thanks!

Winki

Undercover mod
get some 15s and buy a set of slicks and a set of DR. and maybe look into gear dependent boost

patrick4588

Integra God
depending what tuning software you are using, you may have pwm control (boost by gear) and can limit your psi until 4th. a set of traction bars will help as well. i would suggest using different tires for strip and street. on the track run some slicks and unless you have a huge bankroll, i wouldnt run those on the street.

patrick4588

Integra God
btw you just got answers from ppl who have experienced the exact same problem you have

E85B18

Thanks guys. What is a "set of DR?" Im running Hondata S300. I think it may be able to control boost by gear but someone told me it doesnt really work well. How true is that? I still have my factory 15" wheels. Would you use those? If so what size/brand tire?

Winki

Undercover mod
Thanks guys. What is a "set of DR?" Im running Hondata S300. I think it may be able to control boost by gear but someone told me it doesnt really work well. How true is that? I still have my factory 15" wheels. Would you use those? If so what size/brand tire?
DR= Drag Radials. still DOT aproved soft and get sticky but not slicks. and S300 can run gear dependent and it works very well, also your factor 15s are fine. and my DRs are 225 50 15 i believe.

E85B18

Good deal. Thanks! What do I need to do to set up boost by gear? I have a manual turbonetics boost controller. Also, wont the car run rich if its tuned for 20 psi and i only run 10 or so in 1st gear? Last, how does hondata know what gear my car is in?

patrick4588

Integra God
noobie questions ftl. obviously someone else built your car for you and you dont really know whats goin on. since you are on this site now; i'm here to help. i think its very important for ppl to know about their car and how things work, not just its fast and makes xxx whp. if you have a laptop, get the hondata program and look at your maps. basically your computer knows how much fuel to give your motor at every given psi. so if you are tuned for 20psi, then you will be fine at levels under that. you will need to get a mac solenoid to use the pwm function (boost by gear) in hondata. you will also need to modify your ecu harness to add the output wire for the pwm. i suggest having someone else do it so you wont mess up your harness. hondata knows what gear you are in because you have a speed sensor (vss). it basically goes: well you are at this speed and this rpm, so you must be in this gear.

Winki

Undercover mod
i'm here to help. i think its very important for ppl to know about their car and how things work, not just its fast and makes xxx whp. if you have a laptop, get the hondata program and look at your maps. basically your computer knows how much fuel to give your motor at every given psi. so if you are tuned for 20psi, then you will be fine at levels under that. you will need to get a mac solenoid to use the pwm function (boost by gear) in hondata. you will also need to modify your ecu harness to add the output wire for the pwm. i suggest having someone else do it so you wont mess up your harness. hondata knows what gear you are in because you have a speed sensor (vss). it basically goes: well you are at this speed and this rpm, so you must be in this gear.
yup, pretty much. you might have to go through a dealer to get the extra stuff for the gear dependent but you can get a boost solenoid with out one, and i recomend having someone else set it up, preferbly the person who tuned your car.

patrick4588

Integra God
oh and you may need to get the pwm components soldered into the ecu, depending whether you opted for the components when you bought it.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
For traction......... Get some BF Goodrich KDW Drag Radials, or some Nitto NT-555 Drag Radials, those Nittos are suposed to be REALLY nice DR's.....

Another thing, don't Honda's have really weak sauce axles and they snap really easy when you have so much traction; such as, DR's?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^ that's where auto zone comes into play.. Life time replacements on all parts so buy a set of axles, keep your receipts, and you're good to roll! lol

Winki

Undercover mod
^ that's where auto zone comes into play.. Life time replacements on all parts so buy a set of axles, keep your receipts, and you're good to roll! lol

<<<<407 with lifetime warranty axels lol only had to replace one so far:D

patrick4588

Integra God
ive had to replace 4. im on dss 2.9's now. preload when you launch and it helps to take stress off them, but after so long they just break. i have lifetime replacement from o'reilly, but you really just get tired of swapping them...

E85B18

First, I do appreciate your help. Sorry for asking “noobie questions ftl.” Just so you know, I boosted my GSR over 5 years ago. Ive put over 55,000 miles on my car as a daily driver with the turbo (probably more than you). I installed and built the kit from the beginning. Yes someone else did build my engine (sorry im not a mechanic) but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a clue. Plus no garage and no tools. I don’t appreciate your “you dont really know whats goin on” quote. You don’t know anything about me. I was just asking some help from a new forum, I thought you’d know what you’re talking about. ive never had this much power, the most boost ive ran is 12 psi. Youre right again. I never tuned with hondata. Sorry about that too. Man this sucks. Im getting all worked up over here. I feel bad asking for a little help.

As far as, “don't Honda's have really weak sauce axles and they snap really easy when you have so much traction; such as, DR's?

Ive broken 3 axels so far. All from checker with a lifetime warranty. I wasn’t even using DRs, just street tires. I broke my passenger side while boosting in 2nd. Not even launching. It’s a pain in the ass but not that expensive