Trading my Auto for 5 Speed with Bad Rings

97tegkid

Ok guys so I finally got my 91 auto on the road. I been having some slight shifting problems from the automatic when its cold but other then that works ok for being auto.

I found a guy who wants to trade and wondering what you guys think.

My cars a 91 auto ls 2 door. 100% stock besides Hids. ebay intake. and gsr rear interior.
192xxx miles no rust, really no paint fade, basically mint only reason I consider getting rid of it is because it is auto

Car im trading for is a 92 2 Door Ls 5 speed.
Its tucked and shaved, no a/c, no p/s, still has heat.
Cai. Header, Exhaust, everything else stock.
Guy told me the trans works great no problems, basically mint car no rust etc.
Windshield and exhaust need fixed,
Only problems are the motor needs new rings he says it smokes really bad, he said hes checked everything else and cant seem to say it could be anything else. Said the motor and trans were rebuilt 25k ago and he has reciepts
Hes throwing in 425 cash on top also.

What do you guys think? Id post a link but im sure some of you would try buying before I could trade.
Am I looking at a lot in a rebuild? or just replace rings? Should I even trade as my car has no problems but I do want a 5 speed?

Thanks in advance and ill be looking around for info on rebuilding the b18a1

94RS

No fucks given.
So your car runs great and has no problems (the auto trans acting weird when cold is normal), and you're thinking about trading it for someone else's abandoned project/headache? Pass on that and run asap.

IMO, he's trying to make his polished turd sound good so you'll jump on the deal. Hell, I could make my POS sound good to someone wanting a shell.

If you really want a 5 speed, have you considered a manual swap? If yours runs good, then there's no point in risking buying a pile of garbage just to have a 5 speed. Or just love the auto for what it is. :what:

97tegkid

Yes manual swap is in the cards right now. honestly I was just looking to see what anyone else would say.
It seemed to me as he was just trying to make it sound better. Especially sense I just found it listed on craigslist by a different owner less then a month ago saying everything was perfectly fine.

I definitely cant love the auto its no fun and sometimes has been stalling on me while in drive, I cant for see spending to much on a auto when I can just get the parts for a manual.

Thanks for your advice 94RS