Tranny Help!

Nickbrideau

Hey guys, I have a 97 GS guy before me put in a short shift and now whenever I press or let off the gas the shifter moves. Also when i release the clutch it feels like the whole tranny slams back. I was thinking mounts but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Check your mounts. They shouldn't have any cracks or rips in them.
Can you hear the transmission rock or is it just in the feeling of the shifter?
With the car running open the hood and manually turn the throttle, if the engine has excessive rotation then inspect your mounts.
The shifter movement is normal to an extent, as the engine torques under different loads it pulls on the shift linkage moving the shifter. This movement should be small, especially in FWD cars. If your shifter moves more than say 1/4" assuming it has little to no play, inspect the shift linkage under the car.

Nickbrideau

The engine mounts are good i checked all those. and its not the linkage its from the torque but shouldn't be moving that much. Im going to look at the tranny mounts and see if somethings wrong with them. I can feel the transmission rock and when I shift

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
when was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? and the bushings on your shift linkage can cause your shifter to be loose as well.

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I've been troubleshooting a similar issue. Check that all of your mounts are tight - I had the bolts that mount the engine mount bracket to the block on the driver side back out and strip on my car (Fixed this and still having the issue but I believe it will be solved with a new poly rear mount and solid torque mounts). Check your torque mounts if you're still using stock mounts. Check that the T-bracket and rear mount is tight. It's possible your rear trans mount and/or torque mounts are just worn. Also, it is possible that it is drivetrain slop in the trans. When was the last time you did a flush and how many miles on the trans? Did this start directly after you did your short shifter swap?

Nickbrideau

Not sure when the last time the fluids were changed I just bought the car Friday so im not sure when anything started. but the funny thing is i never noticed the shifter moving or tranny moving until i was on my way home. Im still waiting to get some time to get the car up so i can have a look at the trans mounts. im assuming it still has stock mounts its a stock motor with trans 217 km

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Your lower 2 toruqe mounts are most likely shot, and your rear tranny mount is probably on it's way out. I had a 97 automatic a while back and all the mounts were bad or going bad at 150k miles.
The torque mounts are usually the first to go.

Nickbrideau

Alright thanks il have to check it out. Not sure where the torque mounts are but I still have yet to get under the car. Thanks for the help guys!!