Trans gear ratio information

Keoman

Hi all,

Picked up a new "used" tranny today, possibly for use in the mini.
Been looking for an LS tranny for the 5th gear / FD reductions but I am getting mixed information on the web. Looking for someone who knows for sure.

I pulled the trans from a virgin 94' integra coded Y80
VIN was DC4338R

According to this, it was a GSR B18B (verified)

The image shows a 4.4 FD & .787 5th
The link tells of a 4.266 FD & .714 5th

Help:?: :2confused

http://www.jdmcars.com/tech/admin/bseries_tranny.pdf

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Hi all,

Picked up a new "used" tranny today, possibly for use in the mini.
Been looking for an LS tranny for the 5th gear / FD reductions but I am getting mixed information on the web. Looking for someone who knows for sure.

I pulled the trans from a virgin 94' integra coded Y80
VIN was DC4338R

According to this, it was a GSR B18B (verified)
The image shows a 4.4 FD & .787 5th
The link tells of a 4.266 FD & .714 5th

Help:?: :2confused

http://www.jdmcars.com/tech/admin/bseries_tranny.pdf

The GSR and LS both came with transmissions coded Y80 and S80. The LS has a .714 5th and 4.266 final while the GSR was the .787/4.4 combo.

According to the VIN, you have the LS tranny (note the "DC4" code which is a 2dr LS)

Last edited:

94RS

No fucks given.
i never understood the numbers in relation to how high the vehicle revs...
Not how high it revs, but how quick it revs....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, the higher the numbers for each gear, the shorter that gear will. Where the final drive is a lower number, that translates to a higher top speed. So you'll reach the rev limiter faster with a GSR trans than an LS trans due to shorter gear ratios, but the LS will have a higher top speed due to a lower final drive.

Last edited:

94RS

No fucks given.
I know that much. I was just using the LS and GSR numbers for a basic dumbed down explanation. I'm not expecting a stock LS to hit 160 because of slightly longer gears :lol:

Keoman

I know that much. I was just using the LS and GSR numbers for a basic dumbed down explanation. I'm not expecting a stock LS to hit 160 because of slightly longer gears :lol:
I dunno, theres some pretty steep hills around here :)

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Not how high it revs, but how quick it revs....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, the higher the numbers for each gear, the shorter that gear will. Where the final drive is a lower number, that translates to a higher top speed. So you'll reach the rev limiter faster with a GSR trans than an LS trans due to shorter gear ratios, but the LS will have a higher top speed due to a lower final drive.
That is correct. Higher numerically means lower top speed, quicker acceleration and vice versa
Yes, you are correct. I said LS, but what I really should have said was B18B1.

For a 5spd LS coupe, you would expect it to read something like: JH4DC435xRSxxxxxx

The GS and RS would have the same transmission as well, so seeing a 3, 4, 5 or 6 wouldn't be significant. Then the 8 is your check digit for this particular VIN and so on.

Last edited:

Keoman

Perfect. Thanks dc2GS.

Tore the tranny apart tonight real quick and found that the inner (engine side) bearing cage on the input shaft had let go spilling its guts all over the tranny. Gears look fine, no dings or scratches in any of them. Synchro's all looks brand new. Couldn't find any trace of damage done what so ever...
Thats the bad news I guess, but everything looks fine so its really just a matter of replacing the bearing. Got to figure out how to get it out.

The good:
confirmed the 4.266 FD and .714 5th. Makes me happy!
I have read alot on the net about how the LS trannys aren't strong. Would the B18c1 tear this tranny apart? Do i need to swap FD and 5th gear to my S4C tranny (non LSD) or can I just do a straight swap and be alright?