Transmission rebuild

bsinthavong

1991 Integra GS sedan
Hey CI, so I got my first 1991 integra GS sedan 5 speed back in July 2013. I currently have 218,XXX miles on it, I believe everything is original. One day I went out of town and on the highway my 5th gear started popping out and grinding when I'd put it back in. I've asked around and the answer would be the synchros, I googled it and as well it said the same thing. Anyone rebuild their own tranny or swap it? If any that rebuilt it, any DIY or how-to's to do it? Any put lsd in it? If so, anything you need besides the differential?

For the one's that swapped it out, what did you swap it with? cable to hydro? what did you all need?

Someone help a brotha out, I don't know which to do. I might have to junk it and get a new car.

Thank you for anyone that helps.

95B18BTurbo

There's a great step by step thread on Honda Tech if you search real quick for B-series transmission rebuild. I used it and it was extremely helpful.

Twriddles

Could this also be a transmission mount? If your tranny isnt in the right spot I could see it not wanting to stay in gear

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Twriddles

I put an lsd in my 93, took a hydro s80 and took 1,2,3,4 and the diff and used my 5th gear in my ys1 casing so I wouldnt have to buy a conversion kit. Only thing I had to do was grind some ridges down in my casing to make room for the bigger differential. But now I have the lower 1,2,3,4 and the higher 5 and an lsd.

bsinthavong

1991 Integra GS sedan
Could this also be a transmission mount? If your tranny isnt in the right spot I could see it not wanting to stay in gear

I dont believe its the mount because I have to keep my hand on it (forcing it) when it does decide to pop out.

Twriddles

I have a Celica that has the same problem, and it's the mount. Stays in gear at cruising speeds but any kind of acceleration and it pops out?

bsinthavong

1991 Integra GS sedan
There's a great step by step thread on Honda Tech if you search real quick for B-series transmission rebuild. I used it and it was extremely helpful.
thanks for the reply. Ive seen it and would do it, but unfortunately I dont have all the tools to do it.
Or do you have other ways you've done it. Anything helps

bsinthavong

1991 Integra GS sedan
I put an lsd in my 93, took a hydro s80 and took 1,2,3,4 and the diff and used my 5th gear in my ys1 casing so I wouldnt have to buy a conversion kit. Only thing I had to do was grind some ridges down in my casing to make room for the bigger differential. But now I have the lower 1,2,3,4 and the higher 5 and an lsd.

What is your set up? same LS motor? what did you all do to convert it to hydro?

bsinthavong

1991 Integra GS sedan
I have a Celica that has the same problem, and it's the mount. Stays in gear at cruising speeds but any kind of acceleration and it pops out?

since ive had my problem, it doesnt go into 5th at all. I drive through town in 4th gear safely.

Twriddles

I have a b18c, and it's not converted to hydro I used my cable tranny case with the internals from the s80 that came with the motor. They have the same input shaft so you can exchange gears. And the only differences in the casings is that there are some ridges that need to be ground away in order for the larger diff to fit.

95B18BTurbo

There are no special tools required other than a normal tool metric ratchet set and possibly taking mainshaft nut off with an air gun.