Transmission work

96LSteg

Jemel
What's a good price for a mechanic to replace my main shaft bearings (upper and lower) if I already have the bearings and the MTF?

Prozon

Kris
You're just going to have to ask around.. i'm not sure if you can even find anyone to. If you're replacing your bearings you might as well replace the synchros and seals as well- as you will have everything apart anyways. It would be dumb not to. You basically need to find someone to do a rebuild on it. Most shops won't use parts you bring them, just for liability issues.

emd513

Easy to do your self. But your probably looking at 300-400 if u can find someone to do the bench work. A lot of shops here wont touch it unless they pull it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

96LSteg

Jemel
I figured I could probably do it on my own. I I would have to do is remove the counter shaft and main shaft to get to the old lower bearings right?

emd513

Think so. Jump on YouTube and Google. Someone will have the info on every step and if there's any tricks

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Prozon

Kris
Removing those requires fully disassembling the transmission. The bearings do not simply slide on and off either- they need to be pressed on and off. Take it from someone who has rebuilt these transmissions- if you're going to do it- do it right, do it once.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I'm picturing synchros and keyways falling all over right now, :lol not to mention detent balls getting lost. Even if your good at following directions op, Prozon's right, you'll still need some special tools to do it. Another option that might be cheaper is to buy a used transmission.