Transmissions. B16 Cable guts In B18 hydro case with ls 5th

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
I would like to know if there is any difference between the HYDRO ls/gsr (94-2001) and the CABLE B16 (A1) internals with regards to compatibility?

from searching this topic (my goal was to discover if b16 (A1) CABLE internals would work in a (94-2001) ls/gsr case) I found some who said it could be done if EVERYTHING was swapped.

so my question(s) now is/are
1) is this true? will (A1) cable internals fit in a hydro case?
and if so...
2) can I use the (94-2001) ls 5th gear in this body-snatcher setup?

Real first hand experience would be most valuable but any input is welcome.

Thanks,

P.S (If the Transmission guy I keep hearing about (MR. BONES??) could help that would be awesome.)

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
it depends on what year cable tranny it is, i believe 89-91 had a smaller spline on the input shaft, check using a hydro clutch disc if the spline is the same size, if it is you should be good

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
I can do that... but that will tell me what? that a clutch will fit on the transmission... ? how will that tell me if the internals are interchangeable?

Thanks for the input,

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Just took both cases off... Looks ALMOST the same.... different bearing... use b16 one... different reverse shifter.... use gsr one... only 2 shift forks instead of 3.... one of which is 5 thousandth bigger... smaller one is in a spacer... stay tuned... this just might work.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
I can do that... but that will tell me what? that a clutch will fit on the transmission... ? how will that tell me if the internals are interchangeable?

Thanks for the input,
the clutch would let you know when the tranny was made and if it will work in a hydro casing, and throw some pics for refrence seens you opened the casings already, any help lmk through PM