troubleshooting wanted

Thegreengoblin

The green teg guy?
alright guys so recently my car would over heat at idle but cool down as I drove. Seems that I got that fixed, replaced thermostat and cooling fan sensor. But now my car still only blows cold air even after its reached the normal car temp. I do get hot air when I've started to drive, but if I let my car "warm up" for 15 minutes it's still blowing some cold air?
Do I need to do a heater core flush?
Any diys out there?
or is it s bad heater core?
or what?
please help my guys
thanks a lot

osiris19

Check your water valve on the inlet to the heater core in the engine bay. When you slide the hot/cold slider, the cable should move the armature on the valve to open the inlet for the heater core. If that's not working, then there's your problem. If it is, it's an issue with your heater core most likely, or your thermostat isn't functioning properly.

Russell D

Have you checked if there's a blockage in the core? You can disconnect the two hoses that run to it and blow through to check if it's clogged

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The blend door controls how much hot or cold air you get. it doesn't effect the flow of air, that's what the blower is for. I don't think it's common for them to get stuck because they're manual on these cars aren't they? But it's a thought

Murphy

Meat Master
I'm going to say it's your thermostat. Same thing happened to me after I put in a cheap one. A heater core is much less likely to fail than a thermostat.

Might as well do a system and heater core flush if you decide to change out the thermostat for a better one. Beck-Arnley makes a solid one.

Russell D

He said he just replaced his thermostat

Did the one you out in have the hole drilled with the small brass piece that would wiggle around? If so, that always get installed at the 12 o'clock position

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Check the heater control valve in the engine bay. Make sure it has full range of motion when operated by the heater controls in the cabin.

Nick_C78

Also, when you replaced the thermostat, did you have heater open when you bled the air out.

Di what muckman suggested to eliminate the idea its the valve.

Aussie's idea is good, but I don't think thats it because you get hot air when the car is under a load...which means you only get water flowing enough when water pump is moving faster. So you either have a lot of build up in heatercore, or the valve isn't opening all the way. You can do the ghetto heater core flush. Remove both hoses from heater core, stick your garden hose in one side and blast away.