Turbo a stock type r?

billysandoval

I'm interested in getting a type r motor for my 98. My plans are to eventually turbo it. Can I keep it stock with low miles? Or should I redo the whole internals

The Sickest DC2

I'm interested in getting a type r motor for my 98. My plans are to eventually turbo it. Can I keep it stock with low miles? Or should I redo the whole internals
well redoing all the internals will let you run more boost because the type r is a pretty high compression motor

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
if by "redoing your internals" means fully building it, then yes. You should do that. But, seeing as how we're all not made of money, that's sometimes not an option. If you get a thick 3 layer Cometic head gasket, GReddy timing belt (or one as strong), and ARP studs, then you should be able to run roughly 11psi on stock internals. If you want to build a crazy fast/fun car, then you can go forged internals and beat the piss out of it.

You can always do a rebuild of the motor to make it a little more "fresh". Replacing the bearings, rings, cleaning things up, just little stuff like that goes a long way.

At the end of the day, you have to do your research and figure out exactly what you want to get out of your car, then work toward those goals.

The Sickest DC2

if by "redoing your internals" means fully building it, then yes. You should do that. But, seeing as how we're all not made of money, that's sometimes not an option. If you get a thick 3 layer Cometic head gasket, GReddy timing belt (or one as strong), and ARP studs, then you should be able to run roughly 11psi on stock internals. If you want to build a crazy fast/fun car, then you can go forged internals and beat the piss out of it.

You can always do a rebuild of the motor to make it a little more "fresh". Replacing the bearings, rings, cleaning things up, just little stuff like that goes a long way.

At the end of the day, you have to do your research and figure out exactly what you want to get out of your car, then work toward those goals.
very well put

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
I wanna run high boost
Why? What are your goals? If all you want to do is run 2bar, then you can. If you want to have a car that will be able to put the power down, you should stick with 1bar (14psi) or so.

Not trying to be a dick so correct me if I'm wrong but is sounds like you have absolutely no idea what you want. B18C5's are good for high power N/A builds. If you want to run boost, you should get an LS block with a B16 head and run that. You will have VTEC and will be able to run higher compression without risk. Just because the B18C5 is a good motor and a turbo will make things faster, doesn't mean they are a good match. They are one of the worst matches actually.

What exactly are your goals?

98gsrDc2

stolen....
Why? What are your goals? If all you want to do is run 2bar, then you can. If you want to have a car that will be able to put the power down, you should stick with 1bar (14psi) or so.

Not trying to be a dick so correct me if I'm wrong but is sounds like you have absolutely no idea what you want. B18C5's are good for high power N/A builds. If you want to run boost, you should get an LS block with a B16 head and run that. You will have VTEC and will be able to run higher compression without risk. Just because the B18C5 is a good motor and a turbo will make things faster, doesn't mean they are a good match. They are one of the worst matches actually.

What exactly are your goals?
Agreed...that or just turbo a stock ls...u can run much higher boost on an ls than on any vtec motor...

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
It doesnt matter what PSI he intends to run, its all dependent on what size turbo he chooses.

Not trying to be a dick so correct me if I'm wrong but is sounds like you have absolutely no idea what you want. B18C5's are good for high power N/A builds. If you want to run boost, you should get an LS block with a B16 head and run that. You will have VTEC and will be able to run higher compression without risk.
There will always be a risk because of higher compression. You need a good tuner to compensate. These days 11:1 isnt too bad to boost. Considering stock s2000s are being boosted making power in the 800's and theyre 11.5:1 high compression isnt really that big of an issue at all.

Running an LS block because of the low compression is pointless. Low compression means nothing when your pistons are cast. They wouldnt last under high horsepower beatdowns for shit. Theyd melt or you would throw a rod through your block.

Just because the B18C5 is a good motor and a turbo will make things faster, doesn't mean they are a good match. They are one of the worst matches actually.
False.

AlexD

J13 sooo mad

You have a lot of research ahead of you. No one is going to hold your hand or spoon feed you the information you want.

Take the time to read about forced induction before you start wasting hundreds or even thousands of dollars on your car on pointless parts.

This shit has been done over and over again, and each time these threads are made its like trying to reinvent the wheel.

00DC2TW

FYI if your gonna be doing moderate boost on stock internals there is no need for cometic head gasket or a greddy timing belt. Stock OEM head gasket (a new one) will do just fine with ARP head studs. Also don't ever listen to someone if they say you will be able to run a certain PSI without even knowing whats in the setup....You cannot measure how reliable a engine will be with a PSI number... running 4 PSI on a really large turbo could make 375 HP and running 18 PSI on a small turbo could make 375 HP.... PSI doesn't blow up engines, Horsepower does.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
FYI if your gonna be doing moderate boost on stock internals there is no need for cometic head gasket or a greddy timing belt. Stock OEM head gasket (a new one) will do just fine with ARP head studs. Also don't ever listen to someone if they say you will be able to run a certain PSI without even knowing whats in the setup....You cannot measure how reliable a engine will be with a PSI number... running 4 PSI on a really large turbo could make 375 HP and running 18 PSI on a small turbo could make 375 HP.... PSI doesn't blow up engines, Horsepower does.
A Cometic HG will lower the compression, which makes the engine able to handle boost better. The GReddy timing belt because you may as well get a new belt, and the GReddy (and others like it) are built very strong so there would be less of a chance of anything bad happening.

This guy is probably going to be running a T3/T04 turbo as it seems he has not done a lot of research yet.

When talking PSI, it's just the amount of air you are adding to the normal amount of air that should be going in. The numbers I was giving were just general estimates. That's why I said "roughly", because they were rough estimates.

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
A headgasket will only lower your compression if its thicker than your stock one. Any head gasket can lower compression in this case.

I would highly recommend doing an oem head gasket and an oem timing belt or gates.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I think the OP needs to do a lot of research, as you can not turbo your car and keep it stock with low miles.

Seriously do research sounds like you are getting a little over your head.