Turbo Feed Line

AlphaWolf1993

Hey guys, picking up the smaller parts for my turbo install and I just wanted to see if there were any preferred brands or methods to feed/drain lines. Are there any kits better than another? Sandwich plate over t-fitting? I just don't know what to look for until I get feedback on sizing or method.

Thanks guys

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Brand doesn't matter. Its just a hose that delivers oil. -3AN is usually fine. Make sure you have all the necessary hose ends and adapters.

Definitely Sandwich. T fitting is stupid.
You can ditch the stock oil dummy light altogether and run a real oil pressure gauge.

Depending on what kind of turbo you have, I almost always recommend running an oil restrictor. Turbo seals do not like high oil pressure. 0.035" restrictor for ball bearing/water cooled turbos. 0.060" for journal bearing/oil cooled turbos. There are some exceptions obviously.

And for drain we want -8 or -10AN hose. Always maintain a downward slope to oil pan. And we like the bung on the oil pan to be as high as possible so its not always submerged.

AlphaWolf1993

Awesome, a lot of little things that no one mentioned anywhere!

AlphaWolf1993

As far as the sandwich plate, are any brands preferred over another? I ask because a lot of people are saying very few send filtered oil through the plate to the turbo other than GE. I just wanna make sure before I buy

Muckman

Not a M0derator
They all seem to be copies of the GE. I've used ebay ones for builds before. Even if its not filtered directly before the turbo, its filtered at some point. Buy the GE if you are worried about quality.

AlphaWolf1993

Gotcha. There were a lot of people that made the same point, I didn't really know if it was that big of a deal. Only real concern was debris but I don't I could always use an Incline filter or screen if that is a worry I guess.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Only real concern was debris but I don't I could always use an Incline filter or screen if that is a worry I guess.
That's just a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. Don't filter, get something in the turbo and ruin it. Filter it and forget to check it regularly, lose oil flow and ruin it. I personally, never have filtered the feed line and never had a problem. Probability of either is pretty low so long as you take care of it.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf1993

And I do! Kind of how I was looking at it. I'm not trying to overdo it, just trying to get my turbo lubricated safely haha