Turbo Help and Ideas

rcj

Hey guys im still a newb when it comes to forced induction and engine builds period. Im leaving for the marines april 1st and when i get back i want to start a build for my 94 LS....it already has a 96 B18b1 long block from another integra running crower 403 cams eagle rods cp pistions blox throttle body Spectre Short Ram intake dc cat & headers brand new LS head with p&p re sleeved and cleaned block aem sport fuel rail 1000cc injectors no name dizzy (got it from advanced auto) iridium spark plugs and sparco plug wires. She makes around 215 horses and once had hookups for a 150 wet shot of nos (might have been 250). Power comes quick id say about 3500rpm and can pull some g's. (easy to pull through traffic) To make a long story short i want to shoot for around 300-315 and still make around 25 mpg. Idk how to properly do this and im debating on doing another Swap for possibly a GS-R Motor since the comp. is already up there. But i dont going turbo non-vtec. Budget id say is around 5-6k. Thanks Guys and ill upload some pictures of the build over time and Before and After photos. Thanks for all Your help :D:D

Prozon

Kris
It sounds like your current motor could handle that power without issues, assuming it's healthy. Anything 10.5:1 compression or less would probably be ideal. The motor actually sounds like it was built for a low-buck boost build. If you were determined to swap it I would suggest throwing at least ARP head studs into the new motor. Keeping this motor would make the budget very attainable. You already have the fuel upgrades. A Hondata ECU for $500, a tune for $500, $3000 for a turbo kit from Go-Autoworks. If your car is tuned properly and you're running head studs- it should live a long and healthy life.

The nice thing about boost- when your turbo isn't spooled up it should be running as if you were N/A- therefore you can retain your fuel mileage if you want to. It's not unheard of for turbocharged Honda's to still be making 25-30mpg all day everyday.

Good luck with the build, if you have any more questions be sure to let us know.

rcj

the engine as of today barely has 3000 miles on it if not 3500 ....and how can i compression test the car to at least find out the comp. ratio? and since you recommend i keep the b18 i have now then i would gladly go turbo non-vtec. but is it safe to run high boost? id say 10-15psi at the most...the turbo i was looking at was a gt35r since its common and highly popular.

rcj

It sounds like your current motor could handle that power without issues, assuming it's healthy. Anything 10.5:1 compression or less would probably be ideal. The motor actually sounds like it was built for a low-buck boost build. If you were determined to swap it I would suggest throwing at least ARP head studs into the new motor. Keeping this motor would make the budget very attainable. You already have the fuel upgrades. A Hondata ECU for $500, a tune for $500, $3000 for a turbo kit from Go-Autoworks. If your car is tuned properly and you're running head studs- it should live a long and healthy life.

The nice thing about boost- when your turbo isn't spooled up it should be running as if you were N/A- therefore you can retain your fuel mileage if you want to. It's not unheard of for turbocharged Honda's to still be making 25-30mpg all day everyday.

Good luck with the build, if you have any more questions be sure to let us know.
the engine as of today barely has 3000 miles on it if not 3500 ....and how can i compression test the car to at least find out the comp. ratio? and since you recommend i keep the b18 i have now then i would gladly go turbo non-vtec. but is it safe to run high boost? id say 10-15psi at the most...the turbo i was looking at was a gt35r since its common and highly popular.

Prozon

Kris
A compression test won't actually tell you the compression ratio of a motor. It will however tell you the health of your compression rings- which gives you an idea of the health of the whole motor. Assuming it was assembled properly and tuned for the setup it should be fine having only 3000 miles on it.

I think your motor can handle the power you want to throw at it with a GT35. I've seen stock Honda's take 10psi on one all day long. Your limits are a fair bit above stock with upgraded pistons and rods.