turbo time has come!

cody110

Integra Atheist
Alright guys i have a 01 ls and i am finally ready to put a turbo in! i was told buy the guy im having it done by that i will need arp head studs,arp rod bolts,stage 3 cluch and a decent 3 inch exaust to safely make around 300 whp give or take my question is shoud i put in arp main studs as well?:)

Muckman

Not a M0derator
ARP head studs YES
ARP rod bolts NO
ARP main studs NO
Stage 3 clutch?
2.5" is adequate for 300hp.

Nick_C78

Get them L19 Head studs, lol.

Muckman, you think those LS rod bolts will be fine? I personally have no idea what their strength level is, but they are thin and I would just get ARP rod bolts for piece of mind if nothing else. They are cheap afterall. Also, if you plan on redoing your piston rings and are going to have the motor apart anyways then you might as well get upgraded hardware. If you do not plan on opening up the block then you might as well just run it until it blows. Then buy another block. LS blocks are cheap.

I agree though, why do you need a stage 3 clutch? Do you plan on launching the car a lot or something? Who are you having it built by?

cody110

Integra Atheist
i think i will be going with a stage 3 or 2 Competition clutch.The guy that is putting the turbo on told me to get arp head studs and arp rod bolts hmm

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Rod bolts are a factor in tension (rpm) not compression (load).

While I do agree if you are going to rip apart the bottom end then yes replace the rod bolts, I don't think its necessary to touch the bottom end at all for 300hp and a stock redline. Honestly if you're taking the time to rebuild the bottom end then upgrade the rod not just the rod bolt.

Regarding the clutch, you will need a clutch rated for at least 200 ft-lbs. So look up the ratings on the clutch.