Turbo tuning, need a tutorial

newkid

ok like i said. im new to the acura/honda game. every one says u should tune a boosted motor. what does that mean. i need to no if my was tuned when they put the turbo on or they just threw this car together.:???:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The act of tuning is adjusting fuel and ignition tables to optimize the parameters for the particular application of the engine.

For tuning, there would be some sort of system in place to accomplish this. These range for the cheap and lousy way of doing it with a FMU and AFC combo, which is an dangerous/cheap/inaccurate way of doing it, to systems such as Hondata, Neptune, Chrome which consist of an EPROM installed into the ECU and tuning software to control it and are much more precise, accurate and capable of controlling much more. Then there are the full standalone units which essentially replace the factory ECU with one designed outright from day 1 to allow for full control over all engine functions and parameters

For it to be tuned, one of these methods must be in place. If there is a method of tuning installed, knowing whether it has been tuned or not is hard to say. If it runs like shit, stumbles, bogs or had any sort of issues of misfiring nature leading to a lumpy/jerky powerband, then it has not been tuned (or not worth a damn)

Knowing the extent/quality of a tune can really only be identified for certain through datalogging. An educated and experienced mind can tell how the adjusted parameters are working for the engine through reviewing datalogs.

newkid

ok that makes a little sence. a while back when i got the car i did a tune up. i gaped the plugs at .40. thats where it was soppsed to be gaped at. well when i got to higher rpm it started to stuter. i took it to a shop and he said close the gap to .23. i did and it fixed it. the intake is a xpower or somthin like that so i no its not stock. and it has dsm injectors. im not sure what size. would that be a form of tuning? to me the car runs good but the boy that worked on it befor i got it... well he better hope i dont run into him.

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
worked on it befor i got it... well he better hope i dont run into him.
We all get fucked every now and then. I've been fucked over with cars, amps, iPhones, you name it. Craigslist is a fucking dump. BUT, you have to do the same thing to someone else to get your money back. Easy peasy :twisted::twisted::twisted:

newkid

the funny thing is i found this car on craigslist.lol. what happened to the good old days when you coulde get a nice car and not have to worry bout it falln aprt. i paid 2000 for the car and iv got 5000 in it and i still havent got to start messn with it the way i want.:(