turns over, but doesn't start

Judah

Hey everybody,

I have a 98 integra LS and a couple times in the last 4 months of owning it, it has turned over but not started when I turn the key. when this happens I could usually wait a minute and it will work again, until the other day when it just wouldnt start at all. i have done some research and read that it is probably the fuel relay, and that you should try tapping it with a screwdriver or something. I tried this and got nothing, I even went and bought a new relay and put it in, still nothing! i've checked each sparkplug for a spark and they all seem to be doing fine and i just cant seem to find anything else. If you have any suggestions they would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks! Judah.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
The four things you always need to start a car; 1. Fuel 2. Compression 3. Spark 4. Timing
With that said, when you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump priming? You should hear a humm sound coming from the rear of the car.
- Aaron

97 teg

mines doing the same thing. I'd be glad to hear what it is. But mine will start after it sits for a little bit. Did a compression test yesterday and everything seems to still be good. Changed spark plugs and wires. I've seen in my research that the main relay or fuel pump is most likely the problem. I've also changed the fuel filter and distributor cap and rotor just because I wanted to give it a tune up. This weekend I will change the main relay and see how that goes

Judah

The four things you always need to start a car; 1. Fuel 2. Compression 3. Spark 4. Timing
With that said, when you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump priming? You should hear a humm sound coming from the rear of the car.
- Aaron
I just went and checked and it didnt seem to hum or anything, and thanks everyone for your help and advice!

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Simple things first, check the Fuel Pump fuse and if that isn't blown, check the connector at the fuel pump. Then move on from there.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Check the PGM-FI fuse int he engine bay fuse box. Pull the rear seat and check for battery voltage on the fuel pump connector with the ignition on.

97 teg

Just an update

I changed the Main Relay under the dash near the fuses and it fixed my starting problem. It has been starting like a champ

Good luck to everyone who has this issue