Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer review

itzrivera

Hey guys, figured i would let you guys know how this product turned out

Its the Turtle Wax Healdight restorer kit
Cons:
-$10 at walmart for the kit (Pretty good price seeing as other ktis were $20+...but im jewish with my money hence why i listed it as a con :twisted:)
-You need to buy or grab a white tshirt and make about 4 cloths out of it b/c the kit doesnt bring cloths
-you need to buy painters tape to keep the chemicals off the bumper/body

Pros:
-the instruction are pretty much fool proof
-the kit isnt too big but its perfect size seeing as our headlights arent huge (i had enoguh left over to clean my moms crv headlights)
-the kit brings the pads all numbered so you dont f*** up the fool proof instructions
-The end results are pretty good
- cheaper than buying new headlight housing

Overall I believe the kit was well worth the $10 and then the 4$ for the painters tape
I got all four headlights done in about an hour and I have plenty of s*** left to do another set of headlights
Well worth the money and I recommend it anyone with hazy headlights
requires fingerstrength
id say 9 out of 10 overall
pics below::

****update added Memorial day of 2011!*****
Ok, so after i cleaned the lenses off, in about a week they got a little hazy again :evil:. NOT AS BAD as when i had first got the car, but not clear enough to my satisfaction.
SOLUTIONS: some1 mentioned clearcoating in a previous post so i went to napa and the tech or (sales man lol) recommened against it because he said it would be runny since the headlights are plastic. and the clear coat might peal in a few months THE CLEARCOAT WAS A NO-GO atleast for me.

so i decided to gamble $$$8 :( for some of this

BlueMagic Headlight Lens Sealer
Picked it up at Advance Auto Parts

The gamble was similar to getting 21 in blackjack! Its been two weeks since i applied this lense sealer/protectant and they have stayed as clear as when i cleaned them the second time around. Its simple to use as well.Once you get the haze off the headlights Just spray some of this on a cloth and evenly spread it over the housing. Let it Fully Dry before driving.

IMO this product is definitely worth the whooping $8 and i give it a 10 of 10 stars because of the ease of use and results!!!

Last edited:

JGvtec

Nice man, glad you liked the outcome.

I have just upgraded to using some wet/dry sand paper and compound. That way you don't have to keep buying kits.

+ Rep.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
whats funny is that people buy these kits for the headlights. you get the same effect using regular car wax or a rubbing/polishing compound.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
You definitley don't get the same results from a wax/ rubbing compound unless your using one with a lot of abrasive materials in it. Did you clear coat them? If not then you'll be redoing them in a couple months when the haze comes back. I used the same kit on my teg and it turned out great as well.

pbteg11

pbteg11
i bought the mothers brand headlight restore kit and it comes with 3 different grit sand pads, a drill bit, and a buffing compound thing for the end and it worked sooo good because you couldnt even see my lights and now they look brand new...well worth the extra ten bucks to me

8-bit

do what now?
Bought this kit and used on different cars.
+ for the price.

rybread761

Holy hell, it looks beautiful. Great job. I just use PlastX and buff on and buff off and it turns out good.

itzrivera

ill definitely look into just buying the compound and sandpaper next time...btw the last step involved wiping the lense with a special wet napkin (kinda like the ones they give out at buffets) that said it protected against future yellow-ness and such

as for the more expensive kit w/ the buff tool, id rather bust my ass a little more without a buffer and then use those ten bucks i saved on mcdoubles and some Maddog 20/20 lolol

o yea, thanks for the rep too!

JemmieN

not a girl lol
Works really good, but the inside of my headlights are dirty so light output isn't as good as it should be but still shows a lot of light

97IntegraGS

I bought some stuff at a local auto parts store for about 10 bucks and been using it over a period of 2-3 months just to keep my lenses real clear. So far it's keep them in really great condition for the price.

The funny thing is that my brother used some toothpaste on my lenses and they got 10 times cleaner from that one use compared to the 20-30 times I used the actualy cleaning product lol.

itzrivera

@Girlsdoitbetter Np, And like guy_from_nerk said above,
u might want to clear coat them b/c a week later they looked a little foggy...none the less, they did look better than their original state

@97integraGS, i might have to try the tooth paste one of these days lol

pinkley

b@115D33p
I used this about a month or so ago. The lights were in pretty bad shape. Figured I try it out. Went through the steps 3 times on each light and they looked new. I'll have to shoot a coat of clear on them soon. Never thought of it actually. Lol