Type R swap or rebuild my B18B?

soggieb18b1

soggie
I ve got a 95 rs and its pushing 175,000 miles and know it needs a rebuild within the next year. I found a type r with 30,000 on motor & trans. also comes with throttlebody and ecu for roughly 2700 from tiger motors. is this a good bang for the buck or should i rebuild and tune? keepm in mind that this is a dd. im more into the handling abilities than dragging but want to have more power to pull out of turns. Hope that makes sense:}

tenshi_R

luxury integra driver
its not gonna handle any different.
you re not dropping in a V6.
you will loose some low end torque.
but you will gain soem on top and few more 1000s of rpm will make up for the low end.

arianne

Banned
Tiger Motors are from Canada, right?

It only has 30k miles but you can't ever tell for sure. The best way to determine the condition of the motor is to do a compression test and leak down test on it. That's it.

After you get the results, then you should be thinking about if you want a rebuild or not. And an upgrade from a B18B to a B18C Type-R is a big step up and more than enough power for a DD.

$2700 is a pretty good price for what it is. My dad got his JDM GSR with S80/Y80 LSD tranny installed for $2900.

DC_Five_Earl

Tiger Motors are from Canada, right?

It only has 30k miles but you can't ever tell for sure. The best way to determine the condition of the motor is to do a compression test and leak down test on it. That's it.

After you get the results, then you should be thinking about if you want a rebuild or not. And an upgrade from a B18B to a B18C Type-R is a big step up and more than enough power for a DD.

$2700 is a pretty good price for what it is. My dad got his JDM GSR with S80/Y80 LSD tranny installed for $2900.
Holy Crap you know your stuff homie! Either Jayson, your dad or club integra has taught you well :shock:

arianne

Banned

j13

Keep It Clean
My engine has 171k original miles. Runs strong.

If you're that worried, and want the power, break it down and build it up for boost.

mirrorimg

He obviously thinks he needs a rebuild because something is amiss with his car. Just because your guy's cars have more miles doesnt mean a car with lower miles is that much healthier. My motor had 70k on it, and I did a rebuild because I was burning 2qt every 500 miles.

And yes, if he wants to turbo/supercharge this motor, with whatever problems he has, he will still need to rebuild it. Thats 2x as much money to get it running right.

I would suggest a Type-R swap, or even a GS-R swap. A full rebuild is going to cost you quite a bit to do it right, and you wont have the power of a VTEC motor.

its not gonna handle any different.
you re not dropping in a V6.
you will loose some low end torque.
but you will gain soem on top and few more 1000s of rpm will make up for the low end.
Oh really? A B18B1 versus a B18C5? A little on the top and a little less on the bottom? Come on... the B18B1 puts out 142HP at the crank, the B18C5 puts out 197HP at the crank. That is nothing to kick dirt at.

soggieb18b1

soggie
yeah im burinig a qt a week and smoking baaaaaaaaad in the am. But only the first start of the day. My main concern is is reliability thats why i dont want to boost. thanks for the input its much appreciated.