Type-S or teg for my first car?????(NEWB HELP)

fungiguy3

mrPRVTT
Im buying technically my first car and im having trouble deciding what to get.
Not mention im new to the car world but have always been interested especially in hondas nd acuras i almost bought a EG6
THINGS THAT IM KEEPING IN MIND
1)insurance cost (im 20 only zero tickets just a wreck)
2)cost of course but i have 6-7k so not too bad
3)upgrade options
4)long term upkeep
ALL HELP IS WELCOME

Matt Parsons

If you do get the RSX, get a late model year. 05 or 06. These have improved specs over the old RSX, and older RSX have transmission issues. These however run ~$10,000 or more, and are a bit out of your budget.

On the other hand, you can get an Integra GS-R for a lot cheaper than $6-7k, and you can put the rest of the money towards modifications/gas/maintenance/etc... Depends on what you want. The 05-06 Type S makes 210hp, whereas the GS-R makes about 160. The RSX is a lot newer, and will last for a longer time period, and also has security features that make it more difficult to steal than an Integra.

If I had $6-7k, I'd save up another $3k and get an '06 RSX Type-S. I only had $2k, so I got a '96 Integra LS.

You might want to consider the base RSX... it has similar horsepower to the GS-R, but runs on regular gas instead of premium, has better gas mileage, will be newer/more reliable.. etc.

To summarize my thoughts:
RSX: More expensive now, cheaper later.
Integra: Cheaper now, more expensive later.

Last edited:

soccer4life

Im in the same position as you dude. i found a an rsx type s for a decent price and its very tempting

dieonne97

If you do get the RSX, get a late model year. 05 or 06. These have improved specs over the old RSX, and older RSX have transmission issues. These however run ~$10,000 or more, and are a bit out of your budget.

On the other hand, you can get an Integra GS-R for a lot cheaper than $6-7k, and you can put the rest of the money towards modifications/gas/maintenance/etc... Depends on what you want. The 05-06 Type S makes 210hp, whereas the GS-R makes about 160. The RSX is a lot newer, and will last for a longer time period, and also has security features that make it more difficult to steal than an Integra.

If I had $6-7k, I'd save up another $3k and get an '06 RSX Type-S. I only had $2k, so I got a '96 Integra LS.

You might want to consider the base RSX... it has similar horsepower to the GS-R, but runs on regular gas instead of premium, has better gas mileage, will be newer/more reliable.. etc.

To summarize my thoughts:
RSX: More expensive now, cheaper later.
Integra: Cheaper now, more expensive later.
X2 Hit the nail with that one that's exactly how things sum up. I'd do as he stated and just save up 3k more (I mean you've gotten this far saving up so why not at least try? lol) and get a type s. you can always put 6-7k down payment and only have 3k left most would kill to be in that position over owing 6-10k like some people lol

arturo_dc4

try and get a 98+ gsr! much cheaper than an rsx type s. also there is so many parts to back up b series motors for a much cheaper price then k series

WAR 178

Premium User
If you look around, you can find a type s for the 4-6k range...just have to look. I just found one today while looking to source a TL.
I wanted a rsx because of the newer style and k series...
But wanting to learn hondas ground breaking platform to what started the "GAME", I went with the DC teggy platform and the almighty B series.

natron84

This rsx has a bad tranny thing has gotten blown waaaayyy out of proportion over the web. I love my Rsx. Its an 04, never had even the slightest trans problem. Im also a member on clubrsx, and i can say for sure... its not as common as its made out to be.
Get the rsx. its roomier and more comfortable inside, its newer, and its a chick magnet :headbang:
My girl likes my RSX so much, i never get to drive it. She always takes it in the morning while i sleep :lol:

Last edited:

purpl3ran93r

I would just recomend a Type-S becuase basically two things Type-S's arent really stollen as OFTEN as the DC2 counterpart so lets say you drop 5k into your the Type-R then the next day its gone then a total waste but with an RSX the chances of that happening are alot less & 2 5k can you pretty far with an RSX becuase I heard that they respond well to an I/H/E setup and then the rest for K-Pro and all that jazz
and if you care about this, alot of girls especially asian girl really like Type-S's

sage0021

like natron i have both, i would say get the integra over the rsx. parts for the integra are so much cheaper than the rsx its not even funny. and although there are some upgrades from the 04 to 05 version of the rsx an 02-04 version is still very nice. so if your leaning towards the rsx anyway i would get a 2002 type s for like 6k or so and go from there. parts for the 05-06 type s are more expensive than the 02-04 alot of the time too. an rsx is not any harder to steal than an integra, ask the 3 owners from MN who got there rsx's stolen in 1 weekend using a kpro. if someone wants your car they will get it regardless.

its up to you, get one and promise yourself youll buy the other down the road so you can have both. problem solved!:lol:

hieuamn

It all depends on income... If you got extra money go for the rsx... If money is a bit tight go for the gsr.

Visionnaire

Neither. Get a ford focus!! Lol Jk Jk

I say don't set your mind on either one. If you like both, look for both and take whichever is the best deal.