Types of Black paint?

goofygamer

I've searched this forum and haven't found anything about this so maybe CI can help?

I'm looking to paint my car Nighthawk Black Pearl next summer and was wondering if there are any other black colors to choose that will probably looks better than nighthawk? Or does all black paint look the same generally? Just wondering if there's a black that might give more shine, a newer look, just anything in general. If you can post pictures, that'll be great haha even though we might not see a difference unless we see it in person.

Also, is summer a good time to get my car painted? I'll be bringing it to a shop and just wanted to get your input as to whether summer is the best time to get a car painted?

Lastly, does anyone know a good paint shop around Stockton, CA?

Thanks! I know it's a lot of questions, but hopefully everyone can help as you have with my other threads! Thank you!

jznsn2u

What color paint do you have right now? In my opinion a good looking paint job is a full paint job. This means, door hinges, under the hood, trunk hinges. If you have a red car and decide to paint it nighthawk black, regardless of how great the paint looks, I think it would look horrible if the seems are a different color. So my advice is get the whole car painted or stick with the factory color just repaint.

My milano red paint is fading. I've always wanted a white car, but I would never repaint my teg white unless its the whole thing.

BUT if you do decide to get the nighthawk black, thats kool the paint looks good in person.

goofygamer

Hey jznsn2u,

Thanks for the response. Well my car is white right now, but you can tell that it was originally black since the engine bay is still black and if you look in some areas, you still see some black paint seeping through the white. Guess the previous owner got a paint job, but a sorry ass one.

That's why I chose to get a black paint job, so that the engine bay wouldn't look different from the rest of the car. I will be painting everything as you've stated. So would nighthawk black pearl be nice? There's no other black that other integra owners have tried?

Also, when would be the best time to bring my car to a paint shop? Spring? Summer? I don't want the drying process to not be its full potential.

wite2nr

The 3 main oem black integra colors are nighthawk, flamenco, and granada (off the top of my head, I'm sure there is more). It really shouldn't matter when you paint the car as long as the shop has an experienced painter and a quality booth.

goofygamer

Ok sweet. I think my final decision will be Nighthawk. Can't really go wrong with that color, besides I'm going to have to learn to claybar and such haha.

I'm looking for a trust-able paintshop. What does everyone recommend when trying to find a good paintshop? How do I know if they have good booths? The paint shops around my town doesn't have any reviews online; only by word of mouth, but I'm not too fond of that. Thanks!

jznsn2u

1. Get different quotes from a list of shops. Ask them if you start some of the prepping, are they willing to knock off some money of their price. Prepping body work is fairly easy and great knowledge to have. Sand the paint down to the primer, pull out your dents, apply bondo and equal out the surface of the body. <-- thats basically all there is to prepping.

2. When you get the quotes of the shops, dont jump on the cheapest. Drive by the shop, observe the workers and the quality of their labor.

3. Pick the shop that you like best. (A shop thats willing to negotiate, No communication miss-understandings, friendly customer service, a labor price that you are able to pay off.)

4. Things worth trying to negotiate for -
a. willing to knock off a portion of the price for prep work that you will take care of.
b. willing to knock off a portion of the price for buying the paint yourself. (you can buy the primer/paint/clear online and ask if they could mix it. This eliminates the middle man for them.)
c. Straight up ask them for a good deal xD.

goofygamer

Thanks for the advice Jayson. I don't know how to prep the car, so as far as that goes, I don't think they can knock off that much. MAACO was willing to knock off some bucks if I was willing to take off the bumper, spoiler, etc, myself and reinstall myself. They've even called me back for a better deal, first they wanted $1200 painting nighthawk black, which includes: fixing some dents, fixing front bumper, painting door jams and trunk jams. Now they want $860. This is for their lowest painting package, the ambassador one. What do you guys think? Should I go to MAACO for my painting service? I've read on here with people's paint chipping, then those who have had it for years and no problem. Maybe it's because they chose a higher package? Thanks

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a macco paint job or what ever paint job is cool, aslong as they give you warrenty. Make sure you prep the car by hand and if you get warrenty with it they HAVE to fix the orange peel if they are lazy

goofygamer

Yeah, about the orange peel. My current car has a recent paint job done by the previous owner. It has orange peel. My uncle's gf's 2008 tsx has orange peel and my uncle's escalade has orange peel. Why is that?

goofygamer

Deng that sucks for them lol. Those cars are stock and came straight from the factory.

I won't be able to prep the car for the painters, but hopefully they do a swell job when summer rolls around

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if you cant prep by hand they will have to prep which jacks up the price alot, or a cheap place will just spray over your current paint

goofygamer

I don't really mind the price, as long as it's around $2500. I figured they will have to repair lots of little dings and dents made by the previous owner, fix the front bumper a bit, and paint my new type-r lip and optional kits. Ahh, it's so tough lol, so many bad stories I've heard about not durable paint or over/underspray.