UFC 121 (SPOILERS. Read at your own risk)

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
Wow. Pretty good card. A few too many fights went to the judges, but all in all saw some nice action tonight. Let's get started (only discussing the main PPV bouts. I didn't care to watch the prelims)

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Brendan Schaub - GG is probably gonna get canned after this performance. He barely did anything the whole fight. He's been in a slump lately, and with the UFC's track record of cutting fighters who don't win, he should know that a bad performance usually opens the door to a pink slip being handed out. He did nothing constructive the entire fight and lost a pitiful decision to a "decent" fighter at best.

Tito Ortiz vs. Matt Hamill - Close fight, wasn't all that exciting, either. But, I picked Hamill to win and he did. Decision victory over a Tito Ortiz that needs to be considering retirement like Chuck Liddell. Tito just doesn't have what it takes to stay competitive with the level of competition out there. Tito only has a good fight against Liddell. Anyone else he fights, for the most part, will probably do what Matt did tonight. Work him like a part time job. Go Hamill! 3-fight win streak :up:

Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago - WOOOOOOOOW!!! Fight of the night, hands down. Almost non-stop action. Covering ALL bases of the game in MMA. Stand up, grappling, etc. EVERYTHING was covered in this fight, and Diego seems to have rediscovered his old flame as he fought better tonight than he has in the last 3 years. If he fights like this ALL the time, he'll have a championship inside of a year. AWESOME fight. I'm a Diego fan, again.

Jake Shields vs. Martin Kampmann - Fucking bad fight. :down: After walking all over Dan Henderson in his last fight, I figured Jake would do more in this fight. He looked great for the first 3 minutes, but then seemed completely exhausted. In the 2nd and 3rd round, he did NOTHING worthwhile until it was too late. HOWEVER, the judges scoring the fight must have been watching a different fight, because Shields was handed the victory. Even though Kampmann was doing better for almost the entire fight. Shields, in my opinion, has a lot of improving to do if he expects to give GSP a run for his money when Shields challenges for the Welterweight title.

Brock Lesnar (c) vs Cain Velasquez - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR VELASQUEZ!!!!!!!! Cain demonstrated what it means to be a really well conditioned fighter and that skill will get better results than brute force. Lesnar went for an immediate steamroller takedown at the beginning of the fight, only to have Cain stuff the attempt like he was stopping a 3rd grader from taking his lunch money. Fierce, accurate striking, and some pretty damn good wrestling on his own behalf secured him a pretty easy victory against a monster of a champion. Cain Velasquez wins the UFC Heavyweight championship in DEVASTATING fashion via TKO in the last minute of the FIRST round.

discuss. Velasquez made a HUGE statement tonight. skill/talent>muscle ANY day of the week.