Ugh... Can I save my header?

pinkley

b@115D33p
This morning on my way out of the cement plant I work at, I was driving across the new train tracks they are installing and the gravel they had put around them was loose as dirt. when I went across the tracks my car pretty much sunk down 2-3 inches and as soon as went over the first rail I heard scraping. Took it slow and tried to get at a angle but it was too late. The flange on the header caught one of the rails and ripped it back from bottom to top. So on the way home my exhaust was loud as fuck. When I got home I jacked up the car to look at it and it sucks!! I got my sawzaw out and finished it off. had some u-bolt clamps and pipe laying around so I just clamped it to the end of the header and the test pipe I have for a quick fix until I have some days off.

Would I be better off just buying a new header or just get a new flange welded on??
It's a dc sport 4-2-1 header. I really don't have the cash to buy a "good" header at the moment. This is my dd so I need a quick fix. It's so got damn loud it's anoying.

Ryan659

Prob be better just to buy a new or even used one rather than paying to fix something you are going to have to replace in the future anyways.

Do you have the original cast iron one for a quick fix until you get a new one?

pinkley

b@115D33p
Pixs would be great, sometimes to much work to fix it. Sounds like new header in your future.
Too late for pics. It was dark when I left work so I would have been able to get a good pic of the tracks. I worked 12 hours and got off at 6am, I was more worried about getting it patched up rather than taking pics of it. Definitely new header in future!

Prob be better just to buy a new or even used one rather than paying to fix something you are going to have to replace in the future anyways.

Do you have the original cast iron one for a quick fix until you get a new one?
I sure don't, the header was on the car when I bought it. I made a few calls to some craigslist adds. I hate buying certain used stuff from people. One guy I called wanted $125 for a stainless header that he had no idea what brand it was. Probably eBay junk that you can get new for $40.

I'm going to keep looking around but until then I'm just going to weld the pipe I clamped on to the header or even just try to weld the flange back on.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Lemme know if you can't get it welded locally. I have 2 4-2-1 headers I want to sell, one used and one brand new.

pinkley

b@115D33p
I'd say get it welded.
Lol yeah I'm going to have to. I made it about a mile from my house and the u-bolt clamp I used didn't hold. Open header all the way to work lol
I'm going to work on getting it off in the morning when I get home. I'm hoping it goes smoothly because I'm really not sure how long it's been on the car or if the bolts are going to be seized up or not. Probably going to bring it to work and drop it off at the welding shop and have a guy I know weld the flange back on.
Lemme know if you can't get it welded locally. I have 2 4-2-1 headers I want to sell, one used and one brand new.
What kind you have to offer? Might just buy a spare just incase