Unbelievably rough ride.

Joshmmc

My car feels like it has no suspension at all. I've wanted to lower it for ages, and my plan was to save up for some Form/Function T1's, but I found a full set of DropZones for insanely cheap to tide me over in the mean time. I knew they'd suck, but something has to be wrong because I've never been in a less comfortable vehicle.

I can't even emphasize how painful my car is to ride in. You know those lines painted on the road at intersections? When I roll over them, I have to grab my steering wheel as tight as I can so that my head doesn't hit my sunroof.

The coilovers didn't come with instructions, so I assume I messed up the install at some point, but I'm reluctant to assume that a missing grommet in one place or another is the reason for the problem. They're retardedly stiff. Like the damper doesn't operate at all. If I hit a speed bump with one wheel at 10km, the spring doesn't compress one millimeter. I was hoping they'd just require a bit of break-in or something, but 1,000KM in, they're still murder. They creak and grown in the back, too. Sounds like the rear end of my car wants to fall out.

Spare me the replies of "That's what you get for buying DropZones" etc, etc. I just want to know if this is an install error, or if my car is actually supposed to ride like I'm in a wooden wagon. Maybe I can just put the springs + sleeves onto my OEM shocks for now, until they blow? Would it at least be tolerably comfortable? Reckon that it's possible that some missing grommets or an install error of any kind could be responsible?

Thanks

Last edited:

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
you must've done something wrong because im riding with dropzones also and they are not that rough at all, there not soft by any means but they feel nothing like your describing.

mirrorimg

Were the coilovers used? (Im assuming they are full coilovers). Could be that the strut got damaged and is not compressing with the spring, and then returning the spring to its normal position.

There was something wrong with that particular set you bought. I had a set on my DB1 and they rode fine, but a little stiff. You definitely bought a messed up set.

Joshmmc

The guy I bought them off of started to install one of them, then it started raining so he stopped and put them away for 3 months before selling them to me. Could they have seized or something in storage for 3 months?