Upgrade Header & Exhaust? Any advice / Discussion

sonicvybe

new driver
So far the SiR-G has SRI, and some suspension mods. I'm not looking for heavy engine mods, but I was considering a header + exhaust addition as my next move. I was thinking about Greddy 4-2-1 Stainless Steel headers and either a Greddy Exhaust or a Buddy Club Spec IV (but it was designed to fit ITR).

1. If I went for the BC Spec IV (designed for ITR), what would fittment entail?
2. Would this negatively affect exhaust flow/alot?
3. How is this for a weekend DIY - I have no welding experience.

:) plz help

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
if you buy them then they should be all bolt up no welding required. i have a DC stainless steel 4-2-1 and an apexi N1 exhaust system and it sounds and feels good and according to the butt dyno i felt some increase in power. im just wating on a high flow cat to complete the package.

sonicvybe

new driver
Using a high flow cat is usually the case for most I/H/E setups right? Any brands you can suggest for the cat?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Why do you want an exhaust made for an ITR?

Carsound is a top brand of high flow cat.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
What kind of motor do you have? Do you care if the header is a shorty or race? Do you care about noise levels for the exhaust?

sonicvybe

new driver
Why do you want an exhaust made for an ITR?

Carsound is a top brand of high flow cat.
It says it's a bolt on for an ITR, but I wanted to look more closely at what makes it any different. Is it mostly just a difference in cross sectional size, eg: 2" vs 2.5", or does the ITR engine allow more exhaust flow due to other engine internals. I thought the combination of Intake Header Cat Exhaust Piping determines the overall exhaust flow performance. edit: I didn't want the fact that it was "made to fit OEM ITR" dissuade me from liking it...

I only considered BC exhausts because I have heard they were good and it was a Japanese name for a car made in Japan, hence the JDM inbreeding preference. lol (and some noise regulations) :)

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Nope, it's a SiR-G 1998, with decent mileage.:) Although I might come across a deal on an ITR motor one day... or a K series haha.
Ok, so we pretty much have the same motor. Is this gonna be a daily-driver? Do you run canyons, auto-x, road race?

sonicvybe

new driver
What kind of motor do you have? Do you care if the header is a shorty or race? Do you care about noise levels for the exhaust?
It's not for a race track but I'm not too worried about noise levels. (I've heard an exhaust set off every car alarm in a parking lot one time..and found it amusing - BC Spec IV would be a lot quieter I believe)

For the header, stainless steel for sure, down here things rust like crazy. Is'nt a full race header made to eliminate bends, and you mount your engine inverted so the headers are less restrictive?? If that's too hard, I might be a shorty..

sonicvybe

new driver
Ok, so we pretty much have the same motor. Is this gonna be a daily-driver? Do you run canyons, auto-x, road race?
Touge Mode FTW!! jk...It's more of a daily driver than anything. (but inspired by Japanese Mountains) :lol:

...definitely a shorty I think / Not a Full Race setup.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
It's not for a race track but I'm not too worried about noise levels. (I've heard an exhaust set off every car alarm in a parking lot one time..and found it amusing - BC Spec IV would be a lot quieter I believe)

For the header, stainless steel for sure, down here things rust like crazy. Is'nt a full race header made to eliminate bends, and you mount your engine inverted so the headers are less restrictive?? If that's too hard, I might be a shorty..
A race header eliminates the catalytic converter, meaning more power and making your car not street-legal due to not being able to pass emissions. If you're down for that, then go for it. The Buddy Club Racing Spec IV exhaust is nice. If I have a DC2/4, I'd get the A'PEXi GT Spec Exhaust. It's really up to you. You have a wide variety of exhausts and headers to choose from.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
maybe I should just get a sticker that says that...far cheaper than I/H/E setup..hahah
I don't know if you've seen my thread, but I used to have a decal that said, "Corners > Straights". That's my own personal driving philosophy.