URGENT! Help needed

Russell D

So about two months ago I bought a 97 integra ls sedan to replace my civic, my civic had a b20 in I that I installed shortly after getting the car that I purchased from HMO, not long after I bought the integra I pulled the ls to drop in the b20, the b20 was in my car about a year and had just under 30k miles on it since I put it in the civic.

Last weeks I was driving home and the oil light came on, I was only a mile from home so I just continued home because it was running normal and if.not for the light I wouldn't have known anything was wrong. I assume the oil pressure switch is bad so I replace it, lift still on, I tested the one I replaced at it tested normal. I order an oil pressure gauge and installed today, start the car and there is zero pressure. I have my buddy look and he said the pan is dented in, so I drop the pan, I remove the pickup and look through the hold and look at the pump gear, everything looks normal and it turned freely with the crank, I put the pickup back on(screen wasn't clogged) beat the pan back flat and put everything back together, fire it up, zero oil pressure, after thinking for a minute I thought maybe the filter failed or got clogged and is not letting oil through(small chance but weirder stuff has happened) so I changed te the filter, zero oil pressure.

At this point me and my buddy are stumped, anyone here have any ideas?

Side note, I didn't run anything over and I was driving normal when the oil light came on.

Last edited:

Russell D

Also I am using a brand new autometer mechanical gauge and when I drained the oil it didnt have any metallic flakes in it and everything appeared normal

Muckman

Not a M0derator
1. If the engine truly had zero oil pressure and you drove it even for 1 mile like that then its completely fuct.
2. When you dropped the oil pan did you clean it out? did you notice any bearing debris in the bottom? it looks like gold metal flakes.
3. possible causes of no oil pressure - broken oil pump gear (usually due to lack of harmonic balancer) or spun bearing.

Russell D

1. If the engine truly had zero oil pressure and you drove it even for 1 mile like that then its completely fuct.
2. When you dropped the oil pan did you clean it out? did you notice any bearing debris in the bottom? it looks like gold metal flakes.
3. possible causes of no oil pressure - broken oil pump gear (usually due to lack of harmonic balancer) or spun bearing.
1. The engine is fine, it hasn't been run long enough to cause any damage.

2. When I drained the oil I checked for any kind of metal debris from pump gear and bearing and didn't find any. I also thoroughly cleaned the pan and didn't find anything there either.

3. There isn't a spun bearing and the pump gears appear to be in good shape. I pulled to pickup and looked, I also turned to engine over a few revolutions and didn't see anything broken.

Russell D

I thought about it a little more and had a couple thoughts.

I removed the new oil filter is put on and it was bone dry!

Leading me back to the pump, is it possible the oil pressure/ bypass valve have failed and stuck shut?

Beyond5150

Beyond5150
What about the pull tube from the pan to the pump? Dented pan could have pinched that tube

Russell D

I forgot I made this thread...I fixed the issue, don't know exactly what the problem was though.

I removed the screw that holds the pressure bypass plunger and spring in the pump and there was a chunk of metal in there, that shouldn't have been the issue, but I did that and put hondabond on the pickup tune rather than the gasket. Fired it up and after a few seconds the pressure went right to 80psi.

Got just under 1k miles on and still good, but now it started leaking brake fluid...never ending

Russell D

I'm buying a new oil pump, but its going on the new engine I'm building, hoping for 220whp with a daily driven B20v

Muckman

Not a M0derator
What do you mean a piece of metal in the spring shouldn't have been the issue? That spring holds pressure. Any obstruction there will effect how it holds pressure.

Russell D

What that assembly does is bleed off pressure, once it reaches a certain pressure that plunger and spring are pushed down letting oil back into the pan, similar to how a wastage routes exhaust around a turbo to prevent overboosting

Muckman

Not a M0derator
And you don't think that a foreign object in the bleed off valve could cause it to be open all the time and your lack of oil pressure?

Russell D

I can almost guarantee you that wasn't the problem, could it have been part of the issue, yes, was it exclusively that, no.

My car wasn't low on our pressure there was none! The pump wasn't even filling the filter which when empty takes about 3 seconds. The metal shaving I removed was only about .005" thick, now do you think a small .005" gap in the pressure relief valve would have enough oil bypassing it that it can't even fill the filter...having a gap there will reduce the oil pressure, but not make it 0