Use B16 head only for LS/VTEC's? help plz

rybread761

Bang out a B16 head with either a Spoon or HKS 3 peice head gasket and enjoy more compression

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
B16 and torque in the same sentence? Thats the first mistake lol. The b16 head supposedly flows better then a GSR, but i've never seen proof of that

hizmenprodigy

thanks alot! ive never rebuilt an engine but i plan on doing a ls/vtec swap. any other suggestions for what parts are the best to swap out or part brands?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
B16 and torque in the same sentence? Thats the first mistake lol. The b16 head supposedly flows better then a GSR, but i've never seen proof of that
They flow differently yes, the b16 excels in one part over the gsr while the gsr will flow better in others. The main difference is the combustion chamber and the intake/exhaust ports

hizmenprodigy

when i start buying parts to swap out in the engine should i get all of the parts from the same brand or can i mix and match or does it make a difference?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i say its okay on everything except the head. IMHO valve train should match, cams, valve springs, retainers, valves, cam gears should all be from the same company. They are tested together in the RnD process skunk2 doesnt use anything but skunk2 to create stuff and im sure thats the same as other companies

mirrorimg

i say its okay on everything except the head. IMHO valve train should match, cams, valve springs, retainers, valves, cam gears should all be from the same company. They are tested together in the RnD process skunk2 doesnt use anything but skunk2 to create stuff and im sure thats the same as other companies
It really depends on if you do your homework or not. You can be safe matching a brands came with its valvesprings, but if you look at the specs and match then to your build, it really doesn't matter the brand. I don't see why cam gears would matter either. I see them as more of a show price when it comes to picking them, they all do the exact same thing.

wheels

iv heard that the b16 is better because you can do more to it. just what this guy at an import shop told me.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
It really depends on if you do your homework or not. You can be safe matching a brands came with its valvesprings, but if you look at the specs and match then to your build, it really doesn't matter the brand. I don't see why cam gears would matter either. I see them as more of a show price when it comes to picking them, they all do the exact same thing.
i just like stuff to match, i think i have ocd

iv heard that the b16 is better because you can do more to it. just what this guy at an import shop told me.
wtf