UTI... any good??

Gear11013

Mechanic/Tuner in Trainin
Hey everyone i was wondering if any of you guys went to UTI to do any auto tech training. I met with an admissions rep today at my house and i was wondering if anyone wanted to comment on the school or give their stories/experiences with the school since i'm looking to go there to do my training.

Hunter1208

Integralove
why is wyotech better..... just wondering i have there info too
I went to wyotech and I learned alot. It really depense what u want from what I've heard uti focuses on makes and wyotech focuses on all cars in general. I'm currently going to Penn foster which is a big online school and I actually get a diploma unlike wyotech were u only get a certificate. And thru Penn foster u also get a 50% discount with snap on and it's only cost $700 for your complete course, u get online support and can call to talk to automotive techs. and Penn foster let's u do small monthly pymts. But u won't get as much hands on experince as u do at wyotech.... But from my experince with wyotech we mostly learn out of the book. We hardly did hands on

Gear11013

uti has a min of 50% lab work aka hands on and they give grads a $1000 certificate to snap on and a 55% discount at snap on. also they have a power and performance part of the training where you pick an import or hotrod and mod/tune the shit out of it..... and they also have manufacturer specific training. And its not too for from where i live although i still need to move there.....

01FTW

Urinary tract infections are never a good thing. Take some AZO and drink a lot of Canberry juice and that shit should clear up in no time.

Gear11013

you know i was gonna say something about what you posted................................but then i read your signature....

NEEK94LS

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but I also would like infomation on this. I went for a campus tour like 2 months ago and I have to go for something else this saturday. Everything seems really nice and im kinda excited I have to move out from my house to go. One thing that is making me cringe a little is the price tag. Wth financial aid(9k) I still will have to pay back around 25K. Then they dont have dorms so I have to find housing and pay a monthly rent. Theres no doubt in my head that if I go im gonna make the most out of it but wow 25k for 2 years of training is pricey. Im thinking about just backing out and going to a community college which sucks so much its not even funny. Anybody on here have any say on UTI?

NEEK94LS

uti has a min of 50% lab work aka hands on and they give grads a $1000 certificate to snap on and a 55% discount at snap on. also they have a power and performance part of the training where you pick an import or hotrod and mod/tune the shit out of it..... and they also have manufacturer specific training. And its not too for from where i live although i still need to move there.....
Yea those Snap ons would come in handy, and when I took my campus tour some students had an ITR on dyno, I was just thinking yea this would be pretty tight.

Cripton805

Think about it this way... Do you think you will make more money working at a BMW Dealership and specifically working on BMW's or do you think you will work on most makes / models at a backyard ASE certified shop? I think working on specific cars will bring in more money. I hear that the local BMW mechanic "kid" came from UTI and is one of the best in CA.

Also, you can always go back to UTI and Re-train.
Make fun of UTI all of you people want, but if I wanted to be a dealership technician, I'd rather work on a specific make.

Think about it like sports. Will you be professional football player if you play soccer, tennis, ping-pong, etc...?

NEEK94LS

Think about it this way... Do you think you will make more money working at a BMW Dealership and specifically working on BMW's or do you think you will work on most makes / models at a backyard ASE certified shop? I think working on specific cars will bring in more money. I hear that the local BMW mechanic "kid" came from UTI and is one of the best in CA.

Also, you can always go back to UTI and Re-train.
Make fun of UTI all of you people want, but if I wanted to be a dealership technician, I'd rather work on a specific make.

Think about it like sports. Will you be professional football player if you play soccer, tennis, ping-pong, etc...?
Bro you speak the truth, even tho CC is cheaper I know for sure I would have an awfull time and that UTI is better, but damnnnnn 25K is alot but usually the better route is more pricey. Fixing rust with bondo is cheaper but it will come back to bite you in the ass. Going to CC would be cheaper, but god I will hate every moment of it lol.

speedin

The Transporter
Your best option is go to right into the field. Spend 2 years and $25k at UTI or have years experience under your belt and cash in your pocket.

Dont get me wrong im all about education, shit ive been in college coming up on 6 years now. But I know alot of people that went the UTI route and others that went right into the field, and the experience is much more valuable. Get 2 years experience and work on your ASE's.

Although this is all based off the fact we were all in a NATEF 4 year automotive program in H.S. so most of what was taught at UTI we already knew. So I guess if you have never had any training in H.S. UTI would be a good option.

TheNailGuy

Yes im a NailTech
Lol! I thought this thread was......nvm I rather not say..... Okok I thought was urinary tract infection.... lol stupid me