UTI or other school?

ninjaLS

Automatics SUCK! :[
I've been considering going to UTI for a while now. I wanted to see if any members attend and can share their experiences, likes and dislikes. I live in SoCal so I'll more than likely be going to the Rancho Cucamonga campus if I do attend. I will also be attending an Open House at that campus. Any help or insight is appreciated.

jznsn2u

Does he like it? Or ever said anything about it?
all the time man :thumbs up. he says he likes it. Rancho is the best uti because they have the tuner program. He was also telling me there might be a class specifically for dyno tuning. :lol:

ninjaLS

That sound's awesome. I'm definitely going to the open house to get some more info. Thanks!

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I thought about going to UTI for a while. I talked to a few people I know who went there, and the general consensus was don't waste your money. They said they learned some good information, but nothing you can't pick up on your own. None of them got hired by dealerships like UTI 'promises', and in fact they all found that having their ASE certification has gotten them a lot farther than the UTI training. For $30,000 go to real college and look into an engineering major. That's what I've done and I haven't looked back since.

Last edited:

alexjoo

i heard good things about uti but its nothing like the commercials. my friend told me because he has experience that community college > uti

ninjaLS

I thought about going to UTI for a while. I talked to a few people I know who went there, and the general consensus was don't waste your money. They said they learned some good information, but nothing you can't pick up on your own. None of them got hired by dealerships like UTI 'promises', and in fact they all found that having their ASE certification has gotten them a lot farther than the UTI training. For $30,000 go to real college and look into an engineering major. That's what I've done and I haven't looked back since.
See, that was my other thought. Going to a JC or community college would be so much cheaper and I could get ASE certified. But I like the idea that UTI is dedicated specifically to that.

What school are you going to?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Most people in the car industry around here that I know refer to it as UTI: Un-Trained Idiots :lol:

But on a serious note, I agree with you Nick. I wouldn't dish out that much money just for that. For the price of UTI, you could land a pretty good education (and much higher paying career) some where else. If you want to work on cars as a career for the rest of your life, there are more efficient ways to accomplish that.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
the biggest thing is experience, get yourself in a dealership or garage as a helper.you need 2 years at a car related facility before you can take your ASEs. IDK what anyone says a good tech WILL posess his ASE certs. as you can see i learned hands on. its all up to you man.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
I've been considering going to UTI for a while now. I wanted to see if any members attend and can share their experiences, likes and dislikes. I live in SoCal so I'll more than likely be going to the Rancho Cucamonga campus if I do attend. I will also be attending an Open House at that campus. Any help or insight is appreciated.
REPPIN RANCHO CUCAMONGA! That's where I grew up :D

DC_Five_Earl

dc_five_earl goes to uti :thumbs up.
Does he like it? Or ever said anything about it?
Yeaup i go to uti lol, I have 2 more classes and i graduate. Well it's your call if you really want to go, the program is mad expensive though. Just wish there was more time to work around its pretty much half lab and classroom