Valve clearances

maq

I have a B18A block with a B18B head. My exhaust cam is from a B18A, and the intake came is from a B18B.

I assume i would use the valve clearances from the B18A for the exhaust and the ones for a B18B for the intake?

My valves are knocking really bad and i have adjusted them before but only to their max tolerances, my feeler gauges didn't go small enough, need to get some new ones.

Is 0.007" good for the intake?

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Non vtec cams are the same spec no matter if theyre are from a A or B motor, if the noise is that bad i suggest a leak down test to make sure the valves are not bent, search for the crearance of the valves, takes 2 seconds

maq

Would bent valves hinder the power of the the car? Could i do a compression test or is a leak down the only way to test it?

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Would bent valves hinder the power of the the car? Could i do a compression test or is a leak down the only way to test it?
If theyre slightly vent may notice may not, compression check works too

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You probably didn't adjust them correctly. You may know the clearances and know how to do it but there's a knack behind adjusting valves that takes a lot of practice to get right.

You probably didn't adjust them correctly. You may know the clearances and know how to do it but there's a knack behind adjusting valves that takes a lot of practice to get right.
Yup. Valve adjustment is one of those maintenance topics I let the Master Tech at work or the guys over at Secret Services handle for me. I don't quite have the knack yet.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
No I think your problem is how you adjusted the exhaust cam. If it's a B18B head, then you need to adjust the valve clearances to B18B specs. The B18A specs are very different.

I have valve adjustment tutorials on my site in my sig for both the B18A and B18B.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
No I think your problem is how you adjusted the exhaust cam. If it's a B18B head, then you need to adjust the valve clearances to B18B specs. The B18A specs are very different.

I have valve adjustment tutorials on my site in my sig for both the B18A and B18B.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only differences betwen the a1 and b1 head is the intake manifold, everything else is the same

BOURGEON

Hi
I am new here but I want to share

B18A2 engine
Intake can be 15 -16
egzaust can be 20-21

You will hear nothing from engine.Works like WATCH.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only differences betwen the a1 and b1 head is the intake manifold, everything else is the same
Not true. Not at all. Having had an A1 and a B1 head all taken apart in front of me, I think I'd know. But you can start by looking up the valve clearance specs to confirm what I just said.

I wasn't even able to use the same tool to adjust the valve clearance. The A1 uses 12mm lock nuts while the B1 and C1 use 10mm.

Laugh it up.