valve cover torque setting

forrest12

I replaced my valve cover gascet and i want to know what will happen if the tork setting isnt right? Becaus i dont have a tork wrench
I need to knwo the tork settings for it also, ita a 94 ls

Last edited:

Alvi84

I don't think alot can go wrong with the valve cover. I'm guessing the torque specs are around 7lbs or so. Just don't over tighten those 4 bolts cause they will break rather easily. The more important part is the order in which you tighten them. If you have a chilton's manual or something similiar just look at the tightening order and I think you can easily generate 7lbs of torque by hand.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
if you overtighten, you can crush the gasket/grommets, and create tears which will leak in a matter of days. If you don't tighten enough, you'll leak immediately.

I never used a torque wrench on valve cover gasket swaps I've done (been through a lot of custom VC's) just tighten until moderately snug, not to the point where it takes strong effort. just where there is a fair amount of resistance.

remember, start from the center, and work your way outwards. gradually tightening as you go. should take about 3 times around to tighten it down properly. I'd finger tighten all of them (from the center out) then go through and tighten them til the nuts stop turning easily. Then, from the center out, again, go around and snug them all up.

forrest12

:thumbs up:thumbs up
if you overtighten, you can crush the gasket/grommets, and create tears which will leak in a matter of days. If you don't tighten enough, you'll leak immediately.

I never used a torque wrench on valve cover gasket swaps I've done (been through a lot of custom VC's) just tighten until moderately snug, not to the point where it takes strong effort. just where there is a fair amount of resistance.

remember, start from the center, and work your way outwards. gradually tightening as you go. should take about 3 times around to tighten it down properly. I'd finger tighten all of them (from the center out) then go through and tighten them til the nuts stop turning easily. Then, from the center out, again, go around and snug them all up.

Prozon

Kris
I don't think anyone really uses a torque wrench on a valve cover these days. Just make them snug. I put my hand right on the tip of the ratchet/socket wrench. (The part that turns) And tighten it with that, usually when it's tight without putting leverage it's good.

forrest12

Thanks for the info guys, I learn somthing new everyday!