Valvetrain checklist

DB2 B17A1

Corner Junkie
Ok guys im in need of some help, im kind of a noob when building the valvetrain but i have some sense of what i need. This coming summer im planning on working on the valvetrain and i need to know if im missing anything and im pretty sure i am. Thanks.

1- Skunk2 Stage 1 cams (still want to pass smog)
2- Titainium valve springs and retainers (maybe Supertech or Skunk2)
3- Cam gears (havent decided on a brand, most likely aem)
4- ECU management (what do you think i should run? I heard Hondata s200 is perfect but thats a little pricey and im curious to know if i can just go with the Apexi NeoGen)

and thats pretty much what im going off of right now and i know im probably missing a lot more too. Im planning on running mild power since this is my DD/weekend warrior so i want to drive comfortably on the streets but at the same time take it to the tracks to get decent times.

Any advice helps or any alterations to my list aswell. Im not big ballin too hahah, im a starvin college student so budget is enough to get decent parts (not like Toda Vtec Killer cams, i wish though).:shock:

GA-Beast

Owner
i never had to worry about passing smog, but if i were u i/d run stock gsr cams for the test and then swap em out with the cams of your choice after your test

heykosal

Angkorian
Yeah I doubt you'd pass with anything other than stock ECU anyways, and DEFINITELY not with Hondata!

Where you from?

DB2 B17A1

Corner Junkie
Yeah I doubt you'd pass with anything other than stock ECU anyways, and DEFINITELY not with Hondata!

Where you from?
Reno, Nevada. The caption for the Skunk2 Stage 1 cams say that they are able to pass smog, and something about having a stock idle so that would be a plus.

heykosal

Angkorian
Wait I forgot that your car isn't OBDII I was gonna say because that is why you wouldn't pass with Hondata. Sorry.

IDK though why don't you research Nevada's emissions testings rules and such?

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Defintely go with Hondata man. And get Skunk2 cam gears.

heykosal

Angkorian
If there is anyway you would pass a modified honda on a smog test, it would be with a hondata.:roll:
Maybe a sniff test.

Not in MD. obdII cars wouldn't stand a chance. But at first I didn't notice we weren't talking about obdII.

heykosal

Angkorian
Yeah I know thats why I'd fail here in MD running Hondata. I was thinking it'd be the same for him but his car doesn't plug in to begin with.

tilegend

s200 is discontinued though... i would talk to a trusted tuner around your area and see what system they use. you can probably go with chrome / uberdata which i think is cheaper.