Vehicle on when testing stereo wires with voltmeter?

VLT

94 Integra
I bought a Shark Antenna from LoCustom and I need to connect the wire from the new antenna to one of the wires from the power stereo wires. There are 2 wires on the existing power stereo wires. I need to find out which one is a 12v. I bought a voltmeter w/light. Before probing each wire, do I need to have the vehicle on or off? Also, if neither of the wires cause the voltmeter to light, then what do I do? Thanks for the help. Vicky

RonnieJ86

when u replaced your old antenna with the shark wasn't it a power antenna? just use those wires to connect the shark.

Ganyon

I have a shark antenna and hooked it up the right way and the pitch still doesn't work.

VLT

94 Integra
Yes, the old one is a power antenna. I've taken it out. I know I need to connect the new antenna wire to one on the old power antenna, but not sure if I need the car on or not. Also, are there 2 wires from the old antenna harness? Hoping I have the right ones. Thanks for the help.

VLT

94 Integra
PS. I just probed each wire on the old harness and neither caused the voltmeter to light. How do I find the wire w/12v?

Ganyon

My harness had 3 wires on it. A black, white, and green.

VLT

94 Integra
My harness (if I have the right one, which I think I do) has 2 wires. A black one and a pink/red with white stripes. Neither is lighting up the voltmeter light.

VLT

94 Integra
Mine does have 3 wires...sorry! One is black, one is yellow striped and one is a pink/red stripe. I just tried piercing wires again and none are causing the light to come on the voltmeter. I just bought the voltmeter so I don't think that is the problem. ??

VLT

94 Integra
Just tried w/radio on...I tried both striped wires and neither caused the voltmeter to light. I don't think I need to check the black wire.

VLT

94 Integra
Ganyon, now I'm even more confused after reading that. I see they state it should be the yellow/green, but my voltmeter light isn't coming on when I test either of the wires. After reading that, do I need to run the wire to the stereo like they did? I thought I just need to splice together one of the wires I'm talking about to the new antenna wire. Also, on LoCustom's site, he states his wire was the red/white. Again, neither are lighting.

Ganyon

I believe you just need to connect the red wire on the antenna to the red/white wire on the car. Idk why it isn't lighting up your volunteer. The green wire is for the oem antenna to move up and down.