very weird problem

DeerPark

when i open the rear hatch, my car dies. i also can't start the car with the hatch open. when the hatch is closed, everything works just fine. anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

mirrorimg

Dies? How do you mean? the fuel cuts out and the lights remain on, or everything goes out, the car wont crank? I think it could be a wire getting pinched.... but I dont know of any wires that could be going through the hatch that could cause that...

DeerPark

the car basically stalls out. fuel cuts off and the engine dies and the car won't crank unless i close the hatch.

98_gsr

think of it in the positive its like a fuel cut off lol

Vtec-Pwr

OPP-O1-OH-DC2
hmmm that's very very weird!! i also want to know the problem ( maybe the fuel got stuck when the hatch is lifted??? idk) good luck Kevin

acclude

cheap bastard
do u have a alarm on it?
ditto.

also, are there any aftermarket pin switches visible anywhere in the hatch area.

Double and tripple check those and get back here with your info.

If you don't have an alarm and there are no pin switches, then we need more info to help diagnose the problem like these:

1. Do any dish lights come on and stay on.....such as check engine, or rear hatch/door ajar indicator? If the CEL comes on, pull the codes and post them here.

2. What all works electrically and what doesn't? Do the headlights work, interior lights, radio, brake lights, reverse lights, horn, cig. lighter, etc. Post exactly what works and what doesn't.

3. What year and model teggy do you have and is it auto/manual?

Just FYI, about the only thing wires the rear hatch has in common with the engine or ECU are the brake switch (used for helping to control RPM under braking and for the brake lights, and the reverse lights if you have an auto and that would only be affected through the TCU and shouldn't affect engine running conditions.

It is possible that the ELD is acting up, but if your headlights don't kill the car and your trunk opening does, then I seriously doubt that's it.

Double and triple check for an alarm and pin switch in the trunk hatch area. I'd be willing to bet that's the culprit.

FullCry

I agree with the man that says an am pin is still in place and the control unit is mounted under dash. Another thing it could be is a ground problem but I doubt it. Try running a wire from the hatch latch to a ground on the car...and see what happens. Wish I had an ETM on it.