Vtec at 4500RPM?!?

96JDM_GeezerTeg

InfamousINC
Hey guys, just wondering if this is vtec or the second cam kicking in at 4500. I was going through my vids and noticed this and was kind of dumbfounded by it. What do ya'll think?

[YOUTUBE="Vtec Video"]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9bzAaLnD9oI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9bzAaLnD9oI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
VTEC does normally activate at 4400 in a GSR.
VTEC is the switch from the non-VTEC lobes to the VTEC lobes, both cams have VTEC lobes, not just one of them.

Joshmmc

The second cam doesn't have to kick in. In any DOHC engine, the cams are both engaged at all times. VTEC crosses at 4.4k in a GSR as mentioned above.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
And what happens to the second cam that doesn't happen to the first one? :2confused

And what's the deal with the third one? No one's asking about that one.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
And what happens to the second cam that doesn't happen to the first one? :2confused

And what's the deal with the third one? No one's asking about that one.
maybe the lobes???

uso_Dc

its the intake mani. the butterfly opens up in 2 stages so the first stage sounds like v tec at 4500 but its just the intake man opening up and then the vtec kicks in. thats what your hearing.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
VTEC activation is first, at 4400.

Then the IM opens up at 5700.
The IM's shorter, skinnier runners are always open at all times. Then at 5700, the shorter, fatter runners open up to help out the skinnier runners with getting more air into the engine. It's not a two stage event.

rockadilla

thats right.
It is because it has 2 vtec "solinoids"? I forgot the name for them lol but the 1st one opens up at 4500, then the 2nd opens at 6200 I think, on a stock gsr. But yes vtec first engages at 4500 or so