VTEC power

XTurboAcuraX

allright, so the VTEC makes the car go faster and kicks in at about 5000 rpm. supposedly the VTEC is loud so what does the VTEC sound like? does the engine just sound louder? are there any other advantages to the VTEC? do you drive the car that has a VTEC differently than any other stickshift car?
these are just some things i wanna know and yes i read the VTEC: what is it thead in case you were wondering.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
On a stock Integra, you can't hear VTEC when it activates, but you can hear the IM butterflies open at 5700 rpm's. Many people confuse that with VTEC. VTEC activates at 4400 rpm's on a GSR. You can't hear VTEC itself until you do some mods and open up the engines breathing. My very first mod on my GSR was an AEM CAI, after installing that I could only barely hear VTEC, you had to really listen close. Then I put on an Apexi WS exhaust, no change. But THEN I installed a header and a high flow cat and you could definitley hear it then, I thought it was such a fucking cool sound, I loved it. The engine just gets louder when it happens, and you can hear the extra air rushing through the engine, its beautiful. The stock header kills a lot of the sound of VTEC, just about all of it, really (Honda made it that way on purpose because most people want a quiet car and wouldn't care to hear VTEC turning on). Then I installed some cams, and VTEC was even louder, AND since then when it activates there's a pop sound. Before I installed my cams, i heard alot of people on Honda boards saying that when VTEC activates on their cars there was a popping sound, but I was like "what the hell are you talking about, mine doesn't pop at all", then I installed my cams and knew exactly what they were talking about!
You don't need to drive a VTEC car any differently, although I do. I don't take my car into VTEC range unless I really want to because it kills your gas mileage. The engine dumps more fuel since your adding more air.

V-TEGkickINGin

I run a stock 98 gsr. V-tec kicks in at 4700rpm but u don't hear any sound, then the second v-tec kicks in at 6000rpm, thats when u hear the v-tec screaming.

DownShift96GSR

The GSR has a dual stage IM. Which is why it has to VTEC points. 4700 RPM is the exhaust cam VTEC point and 6000 RPM is the intake cam VTEC point. I believe that't what it is, i'm not sure since I haven't driven my car in almost two months.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
DownShift96GSR said:
The GSR has a dual stage IM. Which is why it has to VTEC points. 4700 RPM is the exhaust cam VTEC point and 6000 RPM is the intake cam VTEC point.
That is all a fat load of BS. On all 94-01 GSR's...
-There is one VTEC (not V-tec) point, it is set at 4400 rpm's. The intake AND the exhaust valves begin riding on the VTEC lobe of their respective cams TOGETHER, at the SAME TIME, SIMULTANEOUSLY!
-The intake manifolds butterflies open up at 5700 rpm's. This is the sound you hear even on stock GSR's. It isn't a second VTEC you hear, there's no such thing, you need to slap around the dingleberry who spewed that crap out to you.

Wow, I can't believe I had to just explain that. To a GSR OWNER, nonetheless. :oops:

Last edited:

BossPlaya510

Vtec is da shit when you go from a NON-vtec to a Vtec car.. luv the sound and pull of it.. fell in love with my ls/vtec once i got it done.. and now i cant live w/out vtec hahah

wannabejdm

on my itr you cant hear vtec i have a full apex i exhuast n1 system. not to mention my turbo is kinda laod... How ever my friends civic gets a little louder and crackles.

95teg

hey tegsox you know what would be really sweet? If you didnt act so much like a dousch bag and get mad, it was a question sorry some of us didnt know, ill make sure we all kill our selves!!!! by the way we can spell VTEC / V-TEC how ever the hell we want..hell i could write vtech if i wanted.. this isnt english class therefor if its a spelling error, dont fix it!!
GOD I CANT BELIVE I HAD TO EXPLAIN THIS TO A CI MEMBER!!!!!

DJNAS

HUSTLING FOR A HUSTLER
95teg said:
hey tegsox you know what would be really sweet? If you didnt act so much like a dousch bag and get mad, it was a question sorry some of us didnt know, ill make sure we all kill our selves!!!! by the way we can spell VTEC / V-TEC how ever the hell we want..hell i could write vtech if i wanted.. this isnt english class therefor if its a spelling error, dont fix it!!
GOD I CANT BELIVE I HAD TO EXPLAIN THIS TO A CI MEMBER!!!!!

LOL...... THATS FUNNY :D

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I didn't get mad, I was actually laughing my arse off that sombody thought that. And not just anyone, but our #1 poster at 1,048 posts and a GSR owner himself! I mean, can you imagine how off base some of his advice must have been over the course of those 1,048 posts while believing what he posted here? It just blew me away, that's all. I hope he didn't take it as hard as you did, 95teg. And please don't kill yourself on my account, (did I ask anyone to do that?). And the proper way to write the acronym for Variable valve Timing Electronically Controlled is V-T-E-C, it's just the correct way to do it, there's no arguement. Does 1+1=4?, nope. Does a B18C's valve cover say v-tec, vtech or v-tech? nope. If your proud to display your ignorance and have people like me point and laugh, then do as you will, as will we.
Please, I'm not a douchbag, I'm here to educate my felloew Teg owners. Iv'e been modding and educating myself on my Integra for 4 1/2 solid years and I share my knowledge with you all because its fun for me. Relax my man, kick back, and do the knowledge. :)

95teg

im relaxed and aslo kicked back i mean i am sitting in my computer chair, aren't you?..heh we know how to spell vtec..relax..lol u dont have to be so grammatical on CI, but im glad ur watching pur backs for us on the spelling errors :).. other than that i dont have much to say.. i know Downshift knows what hes talking about usually, i do read alot of his post and they are corect.. i think the whole 2nd V-T-E-C!!!!!!! thing caught everyone by suprise and we were wanting to A) know where they came up with that; and B) if its was true... just a simple thread...brotha!!!....heh