Vtec problem?

XxRiceronixX

Okay so as you guys know I have an LS/Vtec, a couple of months ago I asked if my vtec was wired right and someone told me the steps to check if its wired right and it was. After I left for vacation and now I am back and driving it and everything is fine but as I hit the higher rpm's for some reason the vtec doesn't kick in. I might be wrong but isn't the vtec when it kicks in has a sudden hard pull, mine doesn't do that it just go strait through with a sudden pull. Any way to know why it isn't working any help is appreciated thanks

J187SD

Most people tend to forget that VTEC works off of oil pressure and temperature. If your car is not warmed up properly and not reaching optimal temperature, VTEC will not work. Also if you have low oil, oil pressure will not open up the lobes for VTEC to work.

You also could have burned out your VTEC solenoid. But check your oil first.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
^Yes to both of those and also make sure your thermostat is good.

As a friend of mine said, there are a million and one reasons why VTEC might not work haha

XxRiceronixX

yea my oil is filled over the second hole so the oil is good, no trouble codes are popping up, and I have a p72 ecu so I should be good, but idk if the solenoid is burned out or not, is there way to check?

EDIT: for some reason every car i've driven the temp gauge reaches half way which is the optimal temp, but for some reason mine doesn't it reaches like 40% and the needle stops there could that be the problem?

XxRiceronixX

I wish I knew what you were talking about.... I know the vtec solenoid just don't know if its bad and the vtec pressure switch, where is that?