Vtec troubles.. solved, addditional help please

scottyp19

okay so the whole time my car would bog down at 4500 rpms, thought the problem was vtec. but it wasnt. took it in to a buddy and he swapped out dizzy, plugs, solenoids and nothing. and awhile back i replace 02 sensor (x2) and CAT. what he had said the problem was my new CAT is restricting flow through exhaust causing the bog. so what i need is ideas and comment on what to do next? thank you.

480codyGSR

Sorry I'm at a loss, I'll try to research when I get a chance. In the meantime post some information about mods you have and anything you noticed leading up to this. Most people on here like a huge introduction to the issue and part list so they can go it over in there head(and it usually helps you get a correct answer fairly quickly) just a suggestion.

480codyGSR

Have you looked into vacuum leaks and things on the intake side of things. Both areas front and back of the head can cause it to bog.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I think i mentioned at one point that its not your vtec. Anyway if your cat is clogging it... get one that doesnt. To throw something else into the mix, it might only be your cat because the way your car is running has clogged it. I say this because you said its a new cat. If it was clogging it to start you should have noticed right away. Dont think, know. Inspect your cat. Find out if youre running rich. Shouldnt start new threads, keep it in the same one.

boxer951

Have you tried checking ur fuel pump it could be the reason why it's bogging down

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Last i read, he said he put on a test pipe and it ran fine.

scottyp19

okay, so i have a 2000 acura integra gsr. replaced the plugs, both 02 sensors, CAT. before hand everything was good. replaced cat so i can pass emissions. so now when i drive it, when u get on the throttle, at 4500 rpms the car bogs down wont let you go any higher,.. like it cuts in and out. but if you do a slow steady accel it doesnt do it.

i took it into a buddy and he swapped out the dizzy and a few other things, didnt solve it. he disconnected the cat from the exhaust.. ran it and it ran just fine. no bog or nothing. he recommended a high flow CAT.

i just dont know where or what to do next. i have spent so much on this dang thing its getting frustrating!!!!

Death-the-Kid

anta honma ni shinude
check IM for leaks...spray some brake clean while the car is running on/around the IM and see if you have a bogging issue. What are you plugs gapped too and what kind of plugs are you running?

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Heres the thing. You shouldnt need a high flow cat for it to run normally. If youre saying that it was running perfect with your replacement parts including the new cat and then later it started to bog and the car runs perfect when you run it without the cat then something about the way your car is running has caused the new cat to become clogged so you need to resolve both issues. The only thing i can see it being the cat alone is if the cat was poor quality and went bad fast. Was it an aftermarket replacement or oem? You can get a high flow if you like, nothing wrong with that too but again if the reason ur cat went bad was instead how your car is running, you'll just ruin another cat. Cutting in and out doesnt sound like a flow restriction to me but dont take my word for it. Maybe someone with experience there can chime in. Flow restriction will usually just suck away power. Poor ignition of sorts can cause jerkiness. I wouldnt point to vtec since it runs fine when u disconnect the cat.

Also just throwing this possibility out there, it could be your water temp sensor and heres my theory why. If it thinks the engines still cold then the ecu wont allow you to run the car full power so when you think your vtec should be pulling, youre running as if vtec didnt even kick in. This theory doesnt really go well with the disconnected cat though but we can only hypothesize based on info given. Im also only trying to help troubleshoot with my limited knowledge/experience so dont think i 'know my stuff'.

How certain are you that it ran perfect before the issue came up after you installed the new parts and after you disconnected the cat?

Last edited: