Wanting to buy 91 integra, feedback?

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Long time no post. I sold my last integra, and have regretted it.

I want to buy a new one, I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this one. I am going to try to get this guy to save it till I get my refund on the 2nd. I got him to 800, I feel thats more than fair, I don't really care about cosmetics, I just want it to run for a while. I never had a problem with my last Integra, just want to make sure I make a good decision.

Thanks

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2816550224.html

91ls5speed

as long as you can see some reciepts for all the work that was said to be done, or look at the timing belt cover and see if it looks removed and look for signs of a new gasket. check the boots and the tie rods. turn the steering wheel and grab the tierod on the flat boxy part, twist it back and forth,
if you get alot of resistance and its tough to move where the joint is connected to the knuckle, then they sound new. if they twist and moved loosly and felt sloppy then they are prob old.

dont let the miles scare you, ive got 222,xxx but the motor and a few other key items were taken care of on mine.
if the rest of the car is factory however, be prepared to do calipers, rotors, bearings, various sensors (o2 especially) and gaskets.
just remember that these are possibly the easiest cars to work on, and the parts are fairly cheap, so it will come down to saving labor to make it low cost.

TegraTiger

'91 Integra

You can buy mine, but 800 is way too low. I'd like to sell mine due to one major problem - parts are expensive and most available via "special order" ONLY, thus hard to find. Other than that, I wish I could keep it forever. I don't know how that other guy can say parts are cheap. Parts are NOT cheap for this model year when compared to similar models and the cost for their parts.

That motor on that Teg you're interested in looks like a huge stinkin mess. It's missing the heat shield on the exhaust manifold, and it looks like there's an oil leak that has made the pipes look wet near the block. Could possibly be a leaking head gasket. It's hard to judge just from low resolution pictures. Better to see it in person before making your decision. Bring a trusted mechanic along with you so he (she) can help you.

The body looks clean, no major issues with the paint or huge rust holes. If you're interested in doing a complete rebuild, buy it just for the body alone, then rip out the motor and everything else and rebuild it cherry.

Remember one thing in advertising: It's NOT just what you see, it's also what you don't see.

Last edited:

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
I am a experienced mechanic. I just wanted to get some feedback on it. I don't care if stupid things are wrong with it like steering and stuff I just don't want the engine to die on me. The head gaskets go bad on those often? as well as timing chain? I will make sure I look for that

TegraTiger

timing

I am a experienced mechanic. I just wanted to get some feedback on it. I don't care if stupid things are wrong with it like steering and stuff I just don't want the engine to die on me. The head gaskets go bad on those often? as well as timing chain? I will make sure I look for that
Don't use a chain, it uses a belt. The head gasket usually lasts a long time on these small motors (it's really a Honda), but looking at that picture, it "looks" like there's a leak right around there. One gasket that does need changing is the valve cover gasket. That could be the leak, but who knows without actually looking at it.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Ill clearly be able to see oil in the coolant or visa versa correct? if the head gasket is blown?