Water leak??? Help!

subbyzzz

Went to my car this morning to find my passenger side floormat FILLED with water, I spilled it all over upon trying to remove it. I figured out I had left my heater/ac fan knob on 2 and when I started the car and the heater came on, water started spewing out from under the passenger side dash right back into my floormat. I turned the heater off and it stopped until I started moving and a little excess came out. I just threw down some towels. I need to know what the problem is so I can get it fixed ASAP

92gsrboy

yea i had the same problem you gotta remove your windshield cowl...then there is another little cowl on the passenger side .you have to replace these little clear grommets around the screws that hold that cowl in...there is a DIY fix i followed but cant remember where i seen it....maybe someone else will know

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
The problem is that your heater core is shot. You can either fix it, or bypass it. If you live where it gets cold, I don't recommend bypassing it. There is a valve that opens/closes, depending on whether or not you are using heat. Leaving it on cold will keep it from leaking, but what if someone bumps it?

Last edited:

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
yea i had the same problem you gotta remove your windshield cowl...then there is another little cowl on the passenger side .you have to replace these little clear grommets around the screws that hold that cowl in...there is a DIY fix i followed but cant remember where i seen it....maybe someone else will know
This isn't likely to be his issue, as it seems dependent on the heater running. Unless I'm missing something...

Op...do you have just water in your coolant system? Did the water smell like antifreeze?

Last edited:

dlo253

Sounds like the infamous G2 cowl leak to me. I drips down into the blower motor and when its on it pours onto the floor. When it gets real bad it will happen whether its on or off. Just fixed mine..

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Ok, so is the op's issue related to the "heat" being on, or the fan motor being on? If it's just the fan coming on that caused it, I retract my previous statement :)

I also forgot I was in the g2 section. You guys might not have the valve I was referencing...

mirrorimg

The determination of what the liquid is needs to be made first before saying what needs to be worked on.

It could be the heater core, but then the liquid would have to be coolant. It would be the cowl clips if its just water. The reason why its splashing all over the place is because the fan drum in the air box is spinning and pushing the water (or coolant out). I wouldnt jump the gun and say all those things need to be replaced yet.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
The determination of what the liquid is needs to be made first before saying what needs to be worked on.

It could be the heater core, but then the liquid would have to be coolant. It would be the cowl clips if its just water. The reason why its splashing all over the place is because the fan drum in the air box is spinning and pushing the water (or coolant out). I wouldnt jump the gun and say all those things need to be replaced yet.
Hopefully he comes back to clarify, lol...

subbyzzz

Sorry guys super busy today. I have coolabt in my radiator, straight green. What was on my mat was water. Straight up water, I don't know if its dependant on heat or just the fan but my fan was on as well as heat. Also I'm not a big DIY guy and this is my first integra so I need to know where to take it and what to tell them

grayghost

Okaaaay, you have car that's coming up on 20 years old and you are not into DIY. Get ready to spend a lot of money as your car gets older. Also, you need to address problems immediately. On these cars one problem unaddressed usually results in at least 2 other problems.

As far as where to take it for repairs, any place that is smart on Acuras and/or Hondas. Print out this thread and take it with you.

Good Luck.

mirrorimg

Sorry guys super busy today. I have coolabt in my radiator, straight green. What was on my mat was water. Straight up water, I don't know if its dependant on heat or just the fan but my fan was on as well as heat. Also I'm not a big DIY guy and this is my first integra so I need to know where to take it and what to tell them
Take a look at this link, and see if you think it is doable at your skill level. It doesnt require any special tools except for maybe a panel popper (but you could probably get by with a small crow bar or a fat screw driver).
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the popular G2 passenger cowl leak, I have that too. Here's a DIY to fix it

DIY: Fixing The Passenger Side Cowl Leak On A 90-93 Integra

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Got it. Looks like you are dealing with the cowl leak issue mentioned above. Which is good, heater core replacements suck, lol...