Water Vs Coolant

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
Ok so me and a friend got into an argument today bout what is better for his dsm on the strip. now the argument was that coolant+antifreeze is too oily and doesnt cool as well as water or water+water wetter mix. just want some of your guys opinions on this one

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
anti-freeze has a non corrosive additive to it so your block wont rot on the inside.

i say half/half of anti-freeze and water would be best. add water wetter to that. not just plain water..

tell your buddy to get a fatty radiator, huge fans and better thermostat for better cooling

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
yea? his block is far from stock he's put a pretty penny into the engine bay of that car pretty. the damn thing runs 12s. only thing we got into the argument was cause he mentioned his car runs shitty when its cold out lol

j13

Keep It Clean
I used Water Wetter in my All my Kawasaki's when I use to ride...VERY good pruduct.

50/50 water and coolent FTW.

mirrorimg

Coolant is used to increase the boiling point temperature (so you dont overheat) and decrease the freezing point temperature(so your block doesnt freeze and crack when ice expands).

He will overheat with straight water. And you need to use distilled watter. Tap water has some things in it that will lead to corrosion.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
theres two different mix types you can run

75/25 (75 water 25 coolant)
or 50/50

either way you have to run coolant because water will just boil off like mirrorimg said, water wetter, and other cooling additives are merely an oil based additive designed to prevent air bubble formation against specific areas inside the engine, air bubble formation against the coolant passages, regardless of how well bled your system is, causes hot spots, which causes failures. I use all premixed 50/50 peak coolant, drain the radiator once a year and refill, keeps a constant flow of good coolant in there on a yearly basis. The only time i would worry about using water wetter would be if you were doing hardcore track racing where a consistently high coolant temp is normal, and you cannot afford to have a hot spot.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Water is superior to antifreeze at dissipating heat. Its boiling point is lower, but if that is a concern, you can increase the system pressure.

You don't use straight water in a daily driver, especially in an aluminum engine like ours. Aluminum is very reactive.

I wouldn't use water + watter wetter in a daily driver either.