Ways to stop Oil Burning

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
My integra runs great when it has oil in it, now is bogging, check engine light came back on, and checked oil and its low. WTF Honda, ya make good gas mile cars, but burn the fcuk out of oil. Any ways to fix this problem? (GSR B18 Motor BTW)

Cman46290

fix your motor.

My GSR has 190k on it... and burns next to NO oil... i add maybe a quarter quart between oil changes... (and i have a leaking oil pan gasket.)

-Corey

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
Ive looked it over before during the last oil change. No leaks or anything. Friend traveling behind me said I was burning oil when I got into vtec though.

Cman46290

Ive looked it over before during the last oil change. No leaks or anything. Friend traveling behind me said I was burning oil when I got into vtec though.
There ya go. I dont go into VTEC very often at all. Our cars do burn some oil in VTEC... the more you use it... the more you burn. Be pro-active in checking your oil... and you shouldnt have a problem...

Or dont beat on your car so hard.

-Corey

hgocasca

level 77 troll
There ya go. I dont go into VTEC very often at all. Our cars do burn some oil in VTEC... the more you use it... the more you burn. Be pro-active in checking your oil... and you shouldnt have a problem...

Or dont beat on your car so hard.

-Corey
Can't stress this enough, when I rebuilt my motor, I used the soft break in, so when I wasn't hitting vtec, it didn't burn a drop, as soon as I wired up vtec, I'm burning close to half a quart a week, but I also use vtec a lot

Alvi84

Still shouldn't burn that much oil just cause you're using vtec. Check the vtec sylenoid gasket, cam seals, vavle cover gasket, spark plug gromets, oil pan gasket, and if no leaks then most likely you are in need of piston rings and vavle stem seals. I rebuilt my old USDM B18c1 a while back and it didn't burn any oil in VTEC.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
It has under 8k miles on the rebuild, I literally changed out almost everything, click on my build thread in my sig. The rings take up to 10k to seal all the way, that's why I'm losing so much. Rock rings suck for that reason, but they last forever after they seal. Chrome top rings are a bitch.

Cman46290

Still shouldn't burn that much oil just cause you're using vtec. Check the vtec sylenoid gasket, cam seals, vavle cover gasket, spark plug gromets, oil pan gasket, and if no leaks then most likely you are in need of piston rings and vavle stem seals. I rebuilt my old USDM B18c1 a while back and it didn't burn any oil in VTEC.
Agreed... uting Vtec often shouldnt burn this much oil.... but who knows how he drives... he may hit VTEC at every stop light... who knows.... but if he is THAT worried about burning oil... thats surely one thing he can stop doing to help it from burning so much oil.

Oil rings could be bad though on the pistons.... and as said... check for any other commonly known honda leak.

mirrorimg

So if VTEC burns so much oil, how do race cars last on the track? Im pretty sure they dont call in to the pit and say "Im low on oil! I need a refill when I come in for gas!"

Point is, you shouldn't be smoking. Your rings (oil control) are not sealing well, your cylinder walls are scratched, or your valve seals are not sealing well/cracked and letting oil by in high pressure circumstances (high RPM). There no magical fix it additive. This is indicative of the engine not being maintained properly and needing internal work.

Cman46290

Our cars burn oil in VTEC due to age and deterioration of the rings...and other engine components.. A PERFECTLY healthy motor with perfectly sealing rings wont burn oil...

But in almost ALL cases in any older honda these days.. they dont have brand new rings....and have been driven for 150k-200k miles.. with 17 different owners... and punk kids driving the piss out of them...

therefore if he is worried about oil consumption... stop hitting vtec so much... and this may help from burning so much.... especially if he doesnt have the money to do a rebuild.

-Corey

SOMD_GSR_STi

Flatout Performance
So if VTEC burns so much oil, how do race cars last on the track? Im pretty sure they dont call in to the pit and say "Im low on oil! I need a refill when I come in for gas!"

Point is, you shouldn't be smoking. Your rings (oil control) are not sealing well, your cylinder walls are scratched, or your valve seals are not sealing well/cracked and letting oil by in high pressure circumstances (high RPM). There no magical fix it additive. This is indicative of the engine not being maintained properly and needing internal work.
Well I bought the car a month ago, run my own performance shop (but we do subarus and other cars) so I myself am new to the honda game. After I bought it and brought it home, I immediately did an oil change (and no joke there was about a quart in the car lol) so I replaced the oil, filter and it runs great (especially with only 70k miles on it.)