Weird noise behind my steering wheel.

cameron91

Ok any input would help. I have a 91 ls and I'm hearing a strange noise from behind my steering wheel. It sounds like something rubbing and it gets faster and louder as I accelerate but only when the car moves. I can rev the engine all day but it only makes the sound if I move forward. I have been hearing it off and on mostly only during cold weather. So today I got some time and wanted to figure it out so I jacked it up and put a shitload of supports under it(correct terminology haha) and got it up to about third gear and the noise kicked in so I got out of the car and tried to hear where it came from(I have cruise control and I know how dangerous that is). As soon as I opened the door I couldn't hear the noise. I had previously thought maybe it came from the axle but that's not the case and I have also ruled out the dust shield on the back of the rotor and it's not the cv joint I know that noise(bad cv sounds like a horse at gallop and usually only happens when you turn). At this point I got my brother to get in and run it through the cycles he got in and I shut the door and I listened and everything sounded wonderful I asked him if he heard it and he pointed exactly where I thought behind the steering wheel. I had my head under the car near the axle in the engine bay back side of the steering column but I heard nothing at all. its definitely from inside the car. It can get extremely loud and Id love to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help!

natron84

remove the portion of the dash under the steering wheel and see if you have anything loose.

Also, its a long shot, but i remember my old DA having a noise seemingly behind the steering wheel that got louder as i sped up. I found out it was the speedometer cable. it was rubbing inside its casing, and the faster it turned the louder it got.

cameron91

SOB it must be that, I changed the clutch a while back and when I pulled it out at the engine side base. I thought i pulled to hard because before it happened my speedometer was smooth and now it jumps, just a small amount though...its still accurate 100%. Did you fix it? Just to be clear the noise sounds like the brake disk is rubbing or something. I never would have thought that.

natron84

thats prolly it if its jumping a but. That means ist having a hard time turning. I just went to a junkyard and pulled one from another DA. you could prolly use one from a civic if you had to. be careful not to bend or kink it. its very similar to a brake cable from a bike. once its bent...its bent!

cameron91

hold up a sec it sounds the exact same as I turn do you mean the cable or the car and I mean that shit is loud as hell when my sub is off.

teggin92

meh!

love this forum.. when i get on to post a problem. someone does it for me. I have the exact same problem, the sqweek is making me want to shoot myself in the face. the fact that i cover a noise with the radio bugs me. the noise reminds me of shoving a wet finger in your ear... doing research. like everyone here. the noise is seemingly coming from that cable. mine jumps tremendusly. weird enough even worse on sharp right hand turns when im getting on it. i heard of spray lubricant in the cables line, works great. getting to it might be the hardest part. i will start this journey in the a.m. sorry for the spelling. let you kno how it works

cameron91

Update it was power steering fluid, anyone who thinks they know that noise and its not that this shit sounded like rocks in a dryer

Da9blackicer

i have this same problem its a big pain in the ass but now im just wondering how you remove the cable, like from where on the transmission??

Mrs.Tegra91

lol same shit here, i was told my spedo cable needs oil. havent done it yet. i did just put PS fluid in it but i havent payed attention to the noise. i just ignore it now so much, lol