weird starter problem.

rexpepper123

so like 2 weeks ago i was at a park and went to start my car and it wouldnt. it just sounded like the starter gear was skipping around on the fly wheel? not sure if thats what the starter turns. so anyways i replaced the starter not big deal took 20 mins. there really hasnt been any problems but lets say i go to a couple shops like 3 or 4 when i go to start it again the 4th time it kind of makes the same noise like its skipping teeth but unlike the last starter it will start my car. could this be the rebuilt starter isnt very good? my buddy was saying something like its low back pressure is causing it to start poorly. im not sure bout that one i have no leaks in the exhaust. i do need to replace the 02 sensors could this contribute to the problem any? any ideas would be helpful its just a horrible noise to hear and the horrible feeling thinking i might be stuck and need a push. thanks again fellas and gals!

-rex

rexpepper123

kind of like a grinding noise its hard to discribe it like comes and goes when it pleases but still starts. i have hard starts too where it will take a couple like 10 secs to start.

French-Frye

i would check your flywheel its possible that your missing a few teeth so when you go to start it it skips around or hits.

ben h

Banned
theres a inspection plate that u can take off and see the flywheel its like 3-5 bolts cant remember

poordc2

does it sound like a clicking noise.....cause if it does then maybe check your battery...mine did that a while back and it turns out to be the battery not having enough power(please correct me if i am wrong)

rexpepper123

hey guys and gals check this out! pretty sure that this is whats going on http://www.team-integra.net/forum/20-your-integra/126683-starter-problems-nope-flywheel-problems.html

i think im having the same problem. everything described is whats going on. thought my starter was going out replaced it and the starting problem got worse. when i took the flywheel inspection plate off and tried rotating the flywheel with a screw driver to see if there was missing teeth. i marked the flywheel teeth and on the side of it an when i was pushing on the teeth only the teeth were moving and making a grinding noise it catches sometimes and everything will move but then start slipping again. i feel better i found this. thanks everyone for the help!

so if im replacing the flywheel should i upgrade my clutch while everything is apart? any ideas on what kind of clutch? id like to go turbo in the next year or so.