weird thermostat behavior / cold air intake?

jhh3000

I just bought a 2000 Integra GS. Stock everything, except for an after market cold air intake. It's supposed to give the car 3 extra MPG or something...

Anyway, I drove this car for an hour on the highway and the thermostat reported a stone cold engine... needle didn't budge... stayed at C.

The only time it registered anything above C was when i was revving it around my neighborhood, learning where the friction point was.

Can a cold air intake keep the engine this cold? Do you guys think my thermostat may be stuck open?

mjones73

The cold air intake has nothing to do with it.

jhh3000

hmm sigh. shows u how noob i am.

i got this car with 100k miles on it. i have no way of determining when this could have happened... how bad is this for the engine? can i drive it, or should i get it fixed immediately?

jhh3000

ugh it's usually above 60 for the most part, but lately it's been below 40. i was testing the car out today and definitely revved it pretty hard on the highway today... wont do that anymore.

sigh looks like i'll have to take it in. it's too cold out to do it myself right now.

jhh3000

got a $24 stock honda thermostat, replaced that and the gasket. engine warming up nicely now! thanks guys!

embr

"I just bought a 2000 Integra GS. Stock everything, except for an after market cold air intake. It's supposed to give the car 3 extra MPG or something..."
you need to insulate the cold air intake with termal wrap the air running through the cold air intake isnt cold if its not insulated from the heat youll get noticeably better fuel mileage if you do this plus thermal wrap your exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

jhh3000

"I just bought a 2000 Integra GS. Stock everything, except for an after market cold air intake. It's supposed to give the car 3 extra MPG or something..."
you need to insulate the cold air intake with termal wrap the air running through the cold air intake isnt cold if its not insulated from the heat youll get noticeably better fuel mileage if you do this plus thermal wrap your exhaust manifold.
yea, good point. the mechanic who looked at my car mentioned this and told me that right now it's pretty much a hot air intake