Weird timing issue, what cha think?

maddogg20

Hey guys,
I was trying to set my timing today, and I pretty much have to guess where the distributor needs to go because when I got the car it didnt come with any of the timing belt cover so i dont have any timing marks. Now heres the strange thing. If I move the distributor to the center while the cars running itll keep running until I shut it off, but once I try to restart it, itll chug and idle at about 300 rpm's no matter what i do with the gas pedal. The only way I can get it to restart is if I have the distributor cranked pretty much all the way back, which im pretty sure is advanced but not positive, if someone could let me know which way is which thatdd be great, also Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it to not wanna restart once I put it in the middle? The reason I wanted to set the timing is because it has no bottom end which to me means its retarted, and its running very rich.

Andy

I believe that the distributor is supposed to be set at 16 degrees before top dead center(b18a1).
It sounds like you have something mis-aligned on the timing belt.
Get timing covers and align all the marks properly, then see where it gets you.
I have seen a 91 be wicked off timing due to the "mechanic" having the intake cam turned 180 degrees the wrong way. Though this is an extremely rare case, but crazy things do happen.

WDEDMON1

Hmmm. Check your distributor and make sure the ignition rotor is tight and not wobling around. I had to replace mine last week. Broken talon, you just gave me an idea. If the intake cam is 180 off, do you just turn it one full revolution to get it back on? Or only 180? My timing is off a little bit. It's like the intake cam won't line up perfect.

WDEDMON1

Also maddog, if you pull the distributor towards the front of the car, you advance the timing. This means the spark happens earlier. Be care ful when you do this, its causes a lot more stress on the motor. If you have a high mileage motor I wouldn't do this