Well I just don't know what happen

ryukkid

beep beep
So I notice I had the wrong dizzy and i bought one from craigslist.I put it on and it doesn't start only cranks.So I put the old one back on and nothing only cranks still.Also the cam gears are off only the one on the left by the headlights points up the other one points @ 3 o clock.The car was running fine until i change the dizzy.Any thoughts ?

ryukkid

beep beep
bump
Do you guys think with the timing being this off would cause the car not to start?

mirrorimg

Id dont see any damage to the belt, so I doubt it jumped because of that. The person who installed the timing belt did it wrong, or the tensioner failed and the belt got enough slack to jump the gears.

You need to re-set the timing belt. That is most definitely the reason why the car is not starting.

mirrorimg

Set the engine at TDC, loosen the tensioner, take the timing belt off, align the cams properly, put the timing belt back on, tighten the tensioner. Open up a manual that shows you how to change the timing belt. You effectively need to do that

The other think it may be is that the cam sheared off where the gear slides onto it, so the cam does not move in unison with the belt. You would be able to tell that when you take the belt off and try to rotate the cam though.

ryukkid

beep beep
Can I align the cams by hand because the exhaust one is line up good just the intake one isn't.Well if I'm going to take off the belt might as well replace it.

mirrorimg

How do you know which one is aligned properly? When one points up, the other one is pointing another direction. How do you know one is more right than the other?

You need to put it at TDC (align the white mark on the crank pulley with the line in the timing belt cover) then look at the cams.

ryukkid

beep beep
up date,well my friend and I did the replace the timing belt,belt tensioner and water pump well mainly him but I learn lol.and we found out the dizzy i bought wasn't good :/ but the old one was,try changing the coil and icm but the coil broke :/.But on the bright side of things the car did turn on :)

da9_vito

Hazardous Grounds
How do you know which one is aligned properly? When one points up, the other one is pointing another direction. How do you know one is more right than the other?

You need to put it at TDC (align the white mark on the crank pulley with the line in the timing belt cover) then look at the cams.
that made no sence at all. they say up for a reason. both are up at TDC which make the little notch on both cams line up in the center. that is how you get your timing set.

da9_vito

Hazardous Grounds
up date,well my friend and I did the replace the timing belt,belt tensioner and water pump well mainly him but I learn lol.and we found out the dizzy i bought wasn't good :/ but the old one was,try changing the coil and icm but the coil broke :/.But on the bright side of things the car did turn on :)
when it comes to a messed up dizzy your best bet is buying a new one. yea they cost alot but its way worth the payoff in the end.