What benefits do you gain

96LSteg

Jemel
What do you gain by putting in a short shifter? And differences from short throw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
with a short throw shifter the throw will be..........shorter lol I have heard alot about people missing gears with short throws (only applies to you if you race any)

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

I use a fastline shifter, it has greater benefits than a short throw. The shifter is closer to you so you dont have to have your hand off the wheel that much. It has stock throw which isnt too bad. It does however need a medium weight knob like a spoon knob to shift really wall

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Well if the geometry is correct then the shifter itself won't wear them quicker. It's just that drivers don't normally adjust their super speed shifts which results In more wear and tear.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
So its not short shifters per se, its shifting fast that wears out synchros.
If the geometry is correct; not a huge deal on Integras because of the solid linkage, more problems I've seen were with cables and overzealous geometry for unrealistic throw reductions.

So yes the "faster" shifting would be the culprit, or more so that most users already don't shift correctly enough and thus this just assists the destruction of what's left.

Nick_C78

Don't forget that it can wear down your hub inside of the tranny. This is because of the geometry as well. It also has to do with the fact that we have linkages instead of cables. So essentially it puts pressure on the hub all the time. I only found this out because we opened my tranny up recently to put my LSD in and that is what we found. Oddly enough my gears and synchros were flawless though.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Bad is up to you, if your clutch was fully disengaged during the shift than fine, but I doubt it was.

If we are racing we are driving with more expected wear on parts, so it shouldn't matter to you how quick you wear the synchros.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Agreed; I assume that 99% of the people who ask questions like this are using their car as a dd and have little resources available if shit goes wrong. So I like to present the worst repercussions for them to consider.