What do I do now??? Help!

E85B18

My car started to idle funny and smelled strange. I went to get a compression test and I have 90 in two cylinders. It turns out fuel is leaking past my rings and mixing with my oil. Great. I think it’s rings but I dont know. I honestly don’t drive the car that hard. It has 430 whp on pump gas so I don’t get traction above 5000 rpm till 70mph. Never track raced. Its my daily driver so I’m very careful with it.

Does this sounds like a bad build? I have about 9,000 miles since the build.

Here are the parts:

Engine Build:
Integra GS-R B18C1 Block
AEBS Sleeves
Airas 81.5mm Turbo Pistons
Eagle GS-R Connecting Rods
New OEM Honda Bearings, oil + water pump
ARP Head Studs
Integra GS-R Cams
New OEM GS-R Timing Belt
1000cc RC Injectors
Walboro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Hondata S300
Hondata 4 Bar MAP Sensor
MSD 6A Ignition
Stage 5 Competition Sprung Clutch
Garrett Dual Ball Bearing GT3076
Spearco Intercooler
Turbonetics Boost Controller
50mm Tial BOV
Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate
3" Thermal Research and Development Exhaust
Magniflow Cat
New Radiator
New Transmission Motor Mount
Brand New Axles

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I went to get a compression test and I have 90 in two cylinders. It turns out fuel is leaking past my rings and mixing with my oil. Great. I think it’s rings but I dont know.
You can do a leakdown test to make sure it's the rings. Are you sure it's not the headgasket?

E85B18

I did a leakdown test. The guy at the shop said he doubted it was the head gasket. He said he cant tell for sure if its the rings from the leakdown. Im calling him now to get a little more info. Since there's fuel in my oil doesnt that mean its not the head gasket?

Last edited:

racinfeend59

i suggest cutting ur wrists verticaly it may be less painful than paying that much cash just to FIX something in a motor that u've obviously already put alot into

E85B18

That sounds like a good idea! At least it's a cheap solution. So 11 grand got me 9,000 miles. Haha thats over a dollar a mile. There goes 9 months of work. So if it's rings, is that the shops fault for a bad tune or build?

esco115

Fawk a Title!
I had somewhat of that issue, however mine was oil... I had oil going into the pistons, sometimes piston rings(specially aftermarkets once depending on brand) dont break in correctly so they tend to go bad from the get go, or u didnt break it in correctly either or, but ur issue sounds like a dead cylinder really, how sure are they that gas is getting into ur oil? have u drained ur oil? have u checked why ur fuel is not burning at all? (if it is at all) there has to be more to the story or more to look into before u jump into headaches...

E85B18

Interesting. I did "break in" the motor according to what they told me. But they also tuned it on the dyno after the build so It doesnt seem like they thought it was an issue to redline from the get go. Even though they tuned it, I didnt go over 5000rpm for the first 400 miles or so. I did change the oil on the same day hoping that was the problem, thats when they smelled it "washed out" with fuel. The car still runs so I know its burning fuel. I know the tune was a bit rich due to some black smoke under full boost. Could a rich tune cause this? Whats my next step to diagnose without taking the motor appart?

E85B18

Nothing really. I asked and they told me to not give it WOT at a low RPM like under 3,000. That really was about it. My frinds and I were curious but thats all they told me to do

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
That sounds like a good idea! At least it's a cheap solution. So 11 grand got me 9,000 miles. Haha thats over a dollar a mile. There goes 9 months of work. So if it's rings, is that the shops fault for a bad tune or build?
i have a feeling, when it comes to it being their fault, running 430 on a b18 engine, WAY over stock they are going to say its cause your running so much hp... they will play off like you knew the risk and you chose to take it, all they did was build it for you... sorry bro.

E85B18

I think youre right. Thats what sucks. I had heard some bad things about this shop, I guess I should have listened. My block is 81.5mm right now, what is a good price for parts and labor to bore it to 83 or 84.5mm assuming no other parts of the motor are damaged?

Last edited: