What Helmets Do You Recommend?

drevans_satx

Dylan
I'm not quite sure of this is the correct section, but lately I've been thinking about getting in to Auto-X.
The rules are rather clear on the required rating and such, but I was wondering what helmets you use?
As I've seen a large number of people on this forum go to track days, this should be easy lol. :suprise:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
A lot of people use motorcycle helmets because they are cheap.

I personally use a G Force SA2010 helmet

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
This one.

Check the events rules for what you are interested in running and just go to your local shop or online and get something cheap that matches the qualifications. People with motorcycles tend to spend more for aesthetics and reputation behind safety.

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
^ Nothing goes over that helmet.

I didn't think you could use motorcycle helmets at track events?

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
A lot of people use motorcycle helmets because they are cheap.

I personally use a G Force SA2010 helmet
You can't.*

Motorcycle helmets aren't cheap. Cheap helmets are cheap. Arai and Shoei lids can run from $400 - $800. Hell, even Fox V1 Motocross helmet is like $500.

They're expensive because of all the R&D put into it, because we value our head and want the least amount of wind noise possible. And Arai lids are sometimes carbon fiber, or they all are.. Can't remember. Fox V1 lid is made out of carbon fiber. Not necessarily better, just lighter.

For car racing, if you want to go beyond Auto-X, you should look into an actual car helmet, search on Craigslist.

Here's my Bieffe lid I got from my uncle who used it in actual races with SCCA in his Datsun before he rolled it. It even has a port for the air hose!

*You can't when you run with the big boys. (SCCA/NASA)

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
motorcycle helmets are okay to use. You can use motorcycle helmets in NASA and SCCA HPDE events. Not for SCCA or NASA races.

The only difference between a SA rated helmet (car) and the motorcycle helmets is what they are rated for. Thats it. SA is rated for melting and motorcycles are rated for skidding against a hard surface. That is the only difference. Also some car helmets are pre tapped for HANS and have tearoff posts.

R13

The other asshole
I'm a pretty big fan of the simpson diamondback for automotive use

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aSAMKdiff

Info on DOT vs SNELL helmets
http://www.squidoo.com/Dot-approved-helmets

clifnotes:
same thing - different testing agency and different way of doing tests/showing results. ALL tests are done in house. So if a helmet is $100 and the other one is $800 and they are both DOT that means they passed the same test.

Only other safety rating is FIA which i dont assume any of us will get an FIA helmet in the near future.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Though some people use motorcycle helmets for autocross/track events, I would highly recommend using an automotive DOT Approved SA2005 or SA2010 rated helmet. Motorcycle helmets don't have Nomex lining inside like car helmets do to help protect you in case of a fire.

drevans_satx

Dylan
I know in my area the scca holds a lot of events. There's one on the 11th in the parking lot of a horse track.
As far as motorcycle helmets go, I have that covered. Two Vega helmets and a shoei helmet I was just under the impression that it had to be a specific motor sport rated helmet.